XF 2.1 Relative Timestamps and Caching

arn

So this indicates https://xenforo.com/community/threads/relative-timestamps.228/ that relative timestamps such as "2 minutes ago" are calculated from the actual timestamp, resulting in correct relative timestamps even for cached pages.

Is that still true? Because I'm not seeing that behavior.

On this cached page, if you look at my system clock: 6:14AM vs the post timestamp (5:43am), you see a 31 minute difference but the text shows "11 minutes" which is when it was cached. If I wait long enough, the 11 minutes does go to 12 minutes, etc.... but the starting point is wrong.

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 9.14.45 AM.webp

We did make some changes here in 2.1.5, though it is possible for a guest cached page to have the times be slightly off. It wouldn't be more than the cache length which is assumed to normally be very short, so it's something that we have generally considered expected/acceptable.

that's unfortunate.

It seems that loses a notable piece of what's nice about this whole rewriting relative-timestamp javascript in the first place, and 99% of the pieces are in place. Did it cause other problems?

I've been working on making our guest caching more aggressive. But this definitely makes it feel weird at times.

arn