Reduce FontAwesome icon font file size

Reduce FontAwesome icon font file size

i remember reading that TH has removed fontawesome completely in their recent updates. assuming that is correct, it probably wouldn't matter much!

I wonder what happens if other add-ons rely on font awesome icons and assume that they would be available on xenforo out of the box 🤔

To my knowledge most TH styles use different fonts (eg not Fontawesome).

Best way is to test it on a (local) dev copy of your website.

I would wait for @duderuud to post updated guideline for XF2.2 😛 Meanwhile I hope that amp addon would help as Google seems to be treating amp pages as part of the website in their web vitals graph in search console.

I am testing it on my beta server. Running into one issue though, waiting for @arn to get back to me.

I am currently running a custom Pixelexit theme with some add-on that use custom icons so I need to export a list with all icons used and the command that does that gives me errors.

To be continued...

arn switched to material icons with a theme change on 2.2 as well, so not sure he's supporting this anymore.

I'm running the full icon pak again. had too many holes from mods/etc in my cp and got annoyed with trying to maintain it.

How annoying that they don't let someone share an altered version.

But great guide, feel so much lighter now :D

I am testing it on my beta server. Running into one issue though, waiting for @arn to get back to me.

I am currently running a custom Pixelexit theme with some add-on that use custom icons so I need to export a list with all icons used and the command that does that gives me errors.

To be continued...

Any update? :)

Some interesting news from the CSS working group that might interest you guys who have been following this add-on: it looks like incremental font loading, which only downloads font characters actually used on the web page, is coming to the CSS standard. As browser support improves this will save massive amounts of bandwidth for everyone on all types of websites and it will be amazing for font-based icon sets like FontAwesome.

In the WebFonts WG, we're investigating technologies for incremental font loading, so that the browser doesn't need to download every last byte of a font before it can start using it. Our initial technical findings are promising.

We're specifying an approach where the browser downloads only the parts of the font it actually needs to render the current page (plus some extra for speculative data it might need in the future, plus some more extra for noise so the server doesn't know exactly the contents of the page you're on).

Are there any news for xf 2.4, please?
I tried the docs above, but the result is still the same or still very large.

i do wonder if the addon would be able to automate font creation. not sure if fontawesome supports google fonts style method of fetching select characters by modifying the url.

https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto+Slab:400,700&text=I%20am%20an%20example

Top Bottom