• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Redirects for vBSEO'd URLs

.... hmmmm ....
if it's related to moving the directory ... sounds like it would be easier to *not* move the directory .... redo the forum install ?

Ideally the first post could be updated to reflect the requirement about the directory location.

Not moving the directory is really not an option right now, and I am not 100% sure that this is the reason the redirects arent working. It might have to do with the fact that XF uses /forums which is where my old dir was.

What really sucks about the lack of support on this is the fact that now I can not migrate my VB sites to XF. All of my sites run VBSEO and I would not risk migrating without knowing I would have some support. I might have to just upgrade all of my VB licenses.

UGHH so disappointing.

What really sucks about the lack of support on this is the fact that now I can not migrate my VB sites to XF. All of my sites run VBSEO and I would not risk migrating without knowing I would have some support. I might have to just upgrade all of my VB licenses.

UGHH so disappointing.

Stan I offered you my help, asked you couple of questions but got never an anwser from you. Shadab helped me personally when he was avaliable and sort things out for me. Since then I migrated 2 vBulletin sites using vbseo. Sometimes you need someone to look into it for you when you exhausted all other alternatives.

Stan I offered you my help, asked you couple of questions but got never an anwser from you. Shadab helped me personally when he was avaliable and sort things out for me. Since then I migrated 2 vBulletin sites using vbseo. Sometimes you need someone to look into it for you when you exhausted all other alternatives.

Send ya a PC :)

Stan I use vbSEO with custom urls and have got it all working with nice 302's being presented. If you need my help just shout.

We're getting ready to move our actual forum from vB 4 with vBSEO on it. The vB4 solution is in /forums, and frankly, I want my xF solution to be in the same spot. Initially I intended to simply rename my forums folder to something else (like _forums), and then rename my /xf/ folder, which hosts our test setup to /forums instead.

This thread has me thinking that might be a horrible idea, but what's the alternative? I would prefer being able to switch folders around in the way described above, as my vB folders have gotten cluttered with countless leftover files from add-onds that have been removed, but that did not clean themselves up properly. However, if I need to keep vBSEO active, I'm kinda screwed.

Any ideas?

We're getting ready to move our actual forum from vB 4 with vBSEO on it. The vB4 solution is in /forums, and frankly, I want my xF solution to be in the same spot. Initially I intended to simply rename my forums folder to something else (like _forums), and then rename my /xf/ folder, which hosts our test setup to /forums instead.

This thread has me thinking that might be a horrible idea, but what's the alternative? I would prefer being able to switch folders around in the way described above, as my vB folders have gotten cluttered with countless leftover files from add-onds that have been removed, but that did not clean themselves up properly. However, if I need to keep vBSEO active, I'm kinda screwed.

Any ideas?

I haven't tried it with the directory change but have 2 live sites one with vb3 and vb4 using vBSEO. If I'm not terrible wrong darkimmortal has updated his add-on for vb4 redirection so that you can now change the directory of your forum. If you are using vB4 with vBSEO you have to install darkimmortal's add-on and use shadab's tool. If you are using pre-defined url rules the tool will generate the right url rewrites.

I haven't tried it with the directory change but have 2 live sites one with vb3 and vb4 using vBSEO. If I'm not terrible wrong darkimmortal has updated his add-on for vb4 redirection so that you can now change the directory of your forum. If you are using vB4 with vBSEO you have to install darkimmortal's add-on and use shadab's tool. If you are using pre-defined url rules the tool will generate the right url rewrites.

Thanks for that. I'll give that a check. I currently do not use any vB4 urls, but only the vBSEO default generated ones.

Thanks for that. I'll give that a check. I currently do not use any vB4 urls, but only the vBSEO default generated ones.

Then you shouldn't have any problems. I'm not an expert but have tried many things before I got it working. So if you need help please let me know :)

Then you shouldn't have any problems. I'm not an expert but have tried many things before I got it working. So if you need help please let me know :)

Thanks Laztrix. THe issues were in my HTACCESS file. When I chose one of the defaults or uploaded my rules from VBSEO the tool failed and only gave me a partial of the rewrites for htaccess.

I hope the coder comes back and fixes his tool.

Thanks Laztrix. THe issues were in my HTACCESS file. When I chose one of the defaults or uploaded my rules from VBSEO the tool failed and only gave me a partial of the rewrites for htaccess.

I hope the coder comes back and fixes his tool.

Actually stan you had to add the custom rules to the default one (in which xenforo's rules are included). The tool here just generates the rules for vBSEO. Glad it worked out for you.

I've not managed to get this working yet for some reason. I installed DIs mod, and added the rewrite rules from Shadaps tool to my .htaccess, but when I check out a link on google, it simply ends up pointing to my home folder.

My new shiny xF URLs look like this:

http://www.entropiaplanets.com/forums/threads/balancing-booboo-bothers-buyers.4410/

My vB vBSEO'd URL looks like this:

http://www.entropiaplanets.com/forums/entropia-news/4722-balancing-booboo-bothers-buyers.html

I tried the panic-button mentioned by DI and checked the redirect-help, which refers to my archive table. But to my horror, that table appears to be totally empty. I took backups, so perhaps I might be able to recover it from there.

However, on the other hand, how long ould it possibly take for the Search Engines to recrawl my site, and thus the problem fixing itself naturally? Any ideas?

How does your .htaccess look like SchmitzIT ?

Mine look like this:

Code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

RewriteRule f[\d]+/.+-([\d]+)/index([\d]+).html showthread.php?t=$1&page=$2 [NC,L]
    RewriteRule f[\d]+/.+-([\d]+)/ showthread.php?t=$1 [NC,L]
    RewriteRule f([\d]+)/index([\d]+).html forumdisplay.php?f=$1&page=$2 [NC,L]
    RewriteRule f([\d]+)/ forumdisplay.php?f=$1 [NC,L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^.*$ - [NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^(data|js|styles|install) - [NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^.*$ index.php [NC,L]

</IfModule>

Also not to forget shadabs tool only interprets if you were using predefined vBSEO rules and for vB4.x users the tool will give rules for threads and messages only.

Here's mine:

Code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
        RewriteRule [^/]+/([\d]+)-.+-([\d]+).html showthread.php?t=$1&page=$2 [NC,L]
        RewriteRule [^/]+/([\d]+)-.+.html showthread.php?t=$1 [NC,L]
    #    If you are having problems with the rewrite rules, remove the "#" from the
    #    line that begins "RewriteBase" below. You will also have to change the path
    #    of the rewrite to reflect the path to your XenForo installation.
    RewriteBase /forums
</IfModule>

I'll give yours a shot :)

P.s. Oh, and do you have Full Friendly URLs turned on or off?

Your should look like this:

Code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /forum

</IfModule>

Just to confirm, you have installed http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vbulletin-4-x-url-redirection.7584/ add-on and uploaded the files inside the standard-basic-advanced directory to your xenforo installation. Because you used vBSEO there is no need to do anything else. I preferred the standard-basic-advanced method, it worked flawless.

Your should look like this:

Code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /forum

</IfModule>

Just to confirm, you have installed http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vbulletin-4-x-url-redirection.7584/ add-on and uploaded the files inside the standard-basic-advanced directory to your xenforo installation. Because you used vBSEO there is no need to do anything else. I preferred the standard-basic-advanced method, it worked flawless.

I will try the above settings. Yes, I have the URL Redirect from DI installed. (including the extra bit with the add-on).

So I should not switch to Full Friendly URL?

Ok, I have done everything suggested, but the old Google URL just ends up on the frontpage if I try and follow it. I guess we will just bite the bullet for the time being, and wait until we get reindexed.

im going to be in the same boat soon, is the following correct

1. I have VB4 + VBSEO installed in /forums folder
2. I install a clean Xenforo into /xenforums folder
3. Import VB4 data into Xenforo - fine, no problems so far
4. Rename VB4 folder to /oldforums (I assume I dont need to keep the old VB4 files and folders)
5. Change new Xenforo folder to /forums (I want to use the same folder name as my VB4 had)
6. Upload VB4 redirection add-on "standard-basic-advanced" files to /forums folder
7. Generate htaccess code for VBSEO rewrites with this "redirects for vBSEO'd URLs" tool
8. Add code to htaccess file in /forums folder.

Ok have I got his correct? Do I need to keep the VB4 files and folders? Do I need to also upload the "mod_rewrite" addon?

thanks..

Top Bottom