XF 1.4 Redirection Question

Tman222

Hi all,

I'm currently working to switch my forum over from vB 3.8x to xenForo. I have a question regarding redirection scripts:

Currently the vB forum resides at www.mydomain.com/forum and the xenForo install at www.mydomain.com/testforum. I also have forum.mydomain.com pointing to www.mydomain.com/forum.

Once is everything is ready to go live I was thinking of renaming testforum to forum and changing the original forum to oldforum. However I realize if I do this then any traffic going to e.g. www.mydomain.com/forum/showthread.php?1234 or forum.mydomain.com/showthread.php?1234 won't work.

My other option would be to rename testforum to e.g. forums and then I could get the redirect scripts to work by putting them in the original forum directory. However, when I switch forum.mydomain.com then to point to www.mydomain.com/forums any original links that start with forum.mydomain.com/showthread.php?1234 won't work (as they'll get resolved to www.mydomain.com/forums).

I wanted to ask you guys what you thought would be the best course of action for me to take given this situation so that traffic would properly redirect to the new xenForo board. Thanks in advance for your help.

Redirection scripts generally have to sit in the old location. Their purpose to be used when one of the old URLs is hit. They replace what was there; you don't maintain the old files/installation at that location.

You should look at the redirect scripts that are relevant for your software here: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/redirection-scripts.2/ If the redirects are going in the same directory as XF (that is, XF being installed in the same URL), then you should just need to configure the import source table. If you're keeping XF in a new directory and the redirects in the old one, then you'll need to configure the path to XF as well.

Thanks Mike. In my case xenForo is in a directory called "testforum" while the old forum is in "forum". When I go live I want to rename "testforum" to "forum" and "forum" to "oldforum" so that the xenforo install is in forum (which was the original location for vB). If understand correctly, after I rename I just need to put the redirection files into that "forum" directory and configure the import source table and it should be fine, correct? Thanks again.

Thanks Mike. In my case xenForo is in a directory called "testforum" while the old forum is in "forum". When I go live I want to rename "testforum" to "forum" and "forum" to "oldforum" so that the xenforo install is in forum (which was the original location for vB). If understand correctly, after I rename I just need to put the redirection files into that "forum" directory and configure the import source table and it should be fine, correct? Thanks again.

Correct.

Top Bottom