XF 1.5 Redirect Scripts after IPB 4.1.10 Import?

Schuttle

I just came back from IPB to Xenforo a couple of days ago and I would like to redirect my old links. I checked the resources section for redirect scripts and there seems to be a script for IPB 3.X but not for IPB 4.4.10.

Is there a redirect script for IPB 4.4.10.? If not, would anyone be willing to develop one?
This would be a great help!

Thanks,
Schuttle

I have a vague recollection of someone telling me the old IPB3 redirection scripts work for IPB4. If that is the case, I suppose we ought to update the resource to reflect that :)

How different are IPB3 URLs to IPB4?

It may be possible to adapt the existing IPB3 scripts.

I am not sure on the specific changes, I have been on IPB4 for a long time.

I have a vague recollection of someone telling me the old IPB3 redirection scripts work for IPB4. If that is the case, I suppose we ought to update the resource to reflect that :)

I just tried it out and it seems to partially work. Threads and forums are for sure redirecting.
However, gallery stuff and user profiles are not. That is all I can confirm for now.

Gallery stuff wouldn't anyway, because the redirection scripts were only designed for the forum.

If you give some example profile URLs we might be able to see if it's trivial to add support for them.

Gallery stuff wouldn't anyway, because the redirection scripts were only designed for the forum.

If you give some example profile URLs we might be able to see if it's trivial to add support for them.

Ah I see, will there ever be a redirect script for the IPB gallery? I have an archived import log for it.
Many old links still floating around will benefit from the script.

Example Profile URL:

IPB Link: http://luxwander.com/profile/6-ivawhitebear/ should redirect to XF Link: http://luxwander.com/members/ivawhitebear.6/

I don't think we'd be able to redirect them with a script. It may be possible with Route Filters though. This should work. (Admin CP > Route Filters > Create New):

Find route:
Code:
members/{name:string}.{name:digit}

Replace route:
Code:
profile/{name:digit}-{name:string}

And check "Incoming URL conversion only".

Note, this may seem backwards but it is correct due to it being an incoming conversion.

In actual fact, you may be able to do something similar with media URLs. It seems as though you retained the content IDs for the import so the import log isn't strictly necessary.

I don't think we'd be able to redirect them with a script. It may be possible with Route Filters though. This should work. (Admin CP > Route Filters > Create New):

Find route:
Code:
members/{name:string}.{name:digit}

Replace route:
Code:
profile/{name:digit}-{name:string}

And check "Incoming URL conversion only".

Note, this may seem backwards but it is correct due to it being an incoming conversion.

In actual fact, you may be able to do something similar with media URLs. It seems as though you retained the content IDs for the import so the import log isn't strictly necessary.

That worked! And I did retain the content IDs for the initial forum import, but when it came to the gallery I did not keep content IDs unfortunately.

However, it's only been a couple days since the import and if I could have all the media redirects done if the content IDs were retained. I could hypothetically back up/drop the current gallery tables, then reimport the old gallery tables this time retaining content IDs. Then just manually change the content IDs for the new content for the past couple days and then add those to the tables? I could forgo the new content, but if it's doable I would spend the time to save my members a bit of trouble.

Honestly, unless you can find someone who has already created redirection scripts, or pay someone to make them for you, then starting again with retaining the content IDs is likely going to be quicker. We don't have any immediate plans to create redirection scripts for the gallery, there hasn't been too many requests for it.

As an alternative to using Route Filters, if you can retain the content IDs you can likely just do redirection using server side redirects using .htaccess or similar.

I would say that manipulating the database manually is risky. There's potentially a lot of data in a lot of tables and a lot of caches that could be impacted by changing the new content IDs. If you go ahead with that, we can't really recommend it or support that. If you wanted to give it a try, you'd certainly be best doing that on a test version of the database. It's worth noting that sometimes discrepancies in the data aren't always immediately apparent and you don't want them to surface weeks, months or years into the future.

Honestly, unless you can find someone who has already created redirection scripts, or pay someone to make them for you, then starting again with retaining the content IDs is likely going to be quicker. We don't have any immediate plans to create redirection scripts for the gallery, there hasn't been too many requests for it.

As an alternative to using Route Filters, if you can retain the content IDs you can likely just do redirection using server side redirects using .htaccess or similar.

I would say that manipulating the database manually is risky. There's potentially a lot of data in a lot of tables and a lot of caches that could be impacted by changing the new content IDs. If you go ahead with that, we can't really recommend it or support that. If you wanted to give it a try, you'd certainly be best doing that on a test version of the database. It's worth noting that sometimes discrepancies in the data aren't always immediately apparent and you don't want them to surface weeks, months or years into the future.

Alright, if I go ahead with this I will retain the old content IDs with a new reimport of only the IPB gallery data and I will forgo readding the new content since then manually to avoid potential issues down the line.

Would clearing all the xengallery tables be sufficient for a clean reimport of my old IPB gallery data?

To ensure you don't end up with duplicate images taking up space on the file system, you could uninstall and reinstall the add-on. This would mark all of the current images for deletion, and they will be cleaned up over the next 24 hours or so. This would of course revert any settings and permissions back to factory settings, but ultimately it's probably the cleanest way.

Top Bottom