As designed Recent Posts view (and New Posts sidebar widget) aren't actually showing recent posts

iaresee

Noticed this tonight on my forum. I have a user who made a post at 9:28 PM:

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 10.38.38 PM.webp

But over an hour later that post doesn't show up in the New Posts sidebar widget:

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 10.37.25 PM.webp

Or in the Recent Posts view on the site:

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 10.40.15 PM.webp

Is this a bug or possibly something I've mis-configured on my site?

Site is at http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ if you want to check it out for yourself.

Thanks!

If you're using the Widget Framework add-on and it works as expected on the default style with add-ons disabled, then it's likely an issue with that add-on.

Definitely doesn't sound like a bug.

If you're using the Widget Framework add-on and it works as expected on the default style with add-ons disabled, then it's likely an issue with that add-on.

I'm seeing the same behaviour on the default style.

I'm not explicitly using the Widget Framework add-on. Here are my installed and activated add-ons:

screen-shot-2015-10-30-at-10-13-47-pm-png.120791

Definitely doesn't sound like a bug.
What makes you say that?

In the ACP, edit the node that the post was made in and check that to see if you have unticked the option to exclude posts from that forum in New Posts.

You can see the thread he posted to in both cases (How will AX8...). There's another more recent post in that thread though so it goes there.

In both cases, these represent threads that have new posts in them. They don't display individual posts. (Equally, they're not necessarily new threads either, because they could be existing threads that have replies.)

@iaresee The same happened on my site yesterday, where a new post didn't show in the sidebar for hours after the fact. I'm not sure how long went by, after six hours it still wasn't listed, but I just looked this morning to check and now it is there.

With Halloween approaching, I expect an increase in these anomalies. Spooky.

You can see the thread he posted to in both cases (How will AX8...). There's another more recent post in that thread though so it goes there.

In both cases, these represent threads that have new posts in them. They don't display individual posts. (Equally, they're not necessarily new threads either, because they could be existing threads that have replies.)
Okay, thanks. So if I'm trying to better understand the views here, you normalize the results so that you're only showing the newest post for a thread, not all the new posts for a thread, so if there a multiple new posts to a thread only the most recent of them will show up in the New Posts sidebar widget and on the Recent Posts page?

Did I summarize that correctly?

I can see how this is advantageous -- it keeps thread density high on these views so one busy thread doesn't dominate them.

Thanks for explaining this.

Top Bottom