XF 1.2 Receiving Email Notifications From One Member but Not Another

System0

The other day I posted about an issue I had with email notifications not being received.

I used a test account to send myself a private message and received an email notification about it instantly. So I assumed the situation was resolved.

Another member has been private messaging me and I am not receiving any email notification about it. How can this happen?

Is it possible to enable and disable notifications for certain members?

Kevin

You will need to check the mail server logs to determine whether the emails are being sent.

There is nothing in the code related to member specific emails.

Mail delivery reports state that both of the email notifications were sent correctly.

I just sent myself another private message using a test account and a notification was received instantly. However, this is still not happening when the member sends me a message.

I have no idea.

I get 20 emails a week (on average) from the same address.
Some of them arrive in my inbox, some of them are classified as spam.

That's peculiar. It's strange that the messages are always received instantly from the test account I set up but not from the other member.

I just asked another member if he could send me a private message. Will see if I get a notification for that.

I received messages from two other members and received no notifications.

It's frustrating that I receive notifications from the test account and not regular members. If I wasn't receiving notifications from anyone, I would start looking at my hosting setup or DNS, though clearly those aren't the cause.

Just a recap, I am receiving notifications when one member messages me (my test account) and when I send a message to that account in return. However, two normal members messaged me today and I received nothing, despite the mail delivery report in the WHM stating that it was sent correctly.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that my the two accounts that are receiving notifications are being sent using my own emails?

There's very little that can be done about this from XenForo. You need to see the mail logs to see if there's an error or if it hasn't been delivered for some reason.

Alternatively--and this is usually not the preferred option--you can flip to using an external SMTP server.

This is still occurring to me too. All emails are being sent correctly but I only receive notifications from certain members. No emails are going to my spam folder due to a filter so there is nothing obvious that is causing some notifications to be received and not others.

Top Bottom