XF 2.2 "Receive news and update emails", clarification on how it works

euge

Hello,
some time ago I opened an email support ticket to understand the meaning of the "Receive news and update emails" setting.

The answer I got was:

"The Receive news and update emails relates to subscribed threads and/or used when you send out site mailing from the ACP."

after a long discussion, however, I am still confused about it.
It seems to me that such preference has nothing to do with subscribed thread and is only used to allow send mailing from the ACP.

Could someone clarify this?

Could you tell me the corresponding database field? I have done a 2 steps import from an old PHORUM installation so I guess this preference is set to 0 for all my users but I would like to check.

Finally, again, because of the aforementioned import, my table xf_thread_watch is almost empty, so I guess that if I reply to an old post to notify the poster and commenters about the implementation of a feature that was discussed (the forum is about a software product), they wont' be notified in any way (no email, no alert) is this correct? However, if I mention them, I think they will receive at least an alert. So, in my situation, for old posts, the best thing I can do to notify the original participants to the discussion is mentioning them, am I right?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

If this is not checked, the member of your forum does not get any mails you send from ACP to all your members or certain user groups.

All transactional emails from your forum will be sent regardless of this setting.

Some forum owners do such mass mailings for promotional purposes. For email reputation reasons you should better not use this feature of XenForo's ACP, so the setting of "Receive news and update emails" does usually not matter at all in real life.

If this is not checked, the member of your forum does not get any mails you send from ACP to all your members or certain user groups.

Some forum owners do such mailings for promotional purposes. For email reputation reasons you should better not use this feature of XenForo's ACP, so the setting of "Receive news and update emails" does usually not matter at all in real life.

Ok, thanks. I just want to make sure this is the only thing "Receive news and update emails" affects :)

All transactional emails from your forum will be sent regardless of this setting.

Some forum owners do such mass mailings for promotional purposes. For email reputation reasons you should better not use this feature of XenForo's ACP, so the setting of "Receive news and update emails" does usually not matter at all in real life.
Ok, thanks. I just want to make sure this is the only thing "Receive news and update emails" affects :)

Can you confirm this is correct @Brogan?

I may be wrong (won't be the first time or last time) but is it not also related to the activity summary email?

I half thought that anyone who has not ticked the Receive news and update emails box should not be getting the automatic activity summaries if they are enabled in the options.

EDIT: I was wrong, activity summary has its own tick box!

I may be wrong (won't be the first time or last time) but is it not also related to the activity summary email?

I half thought that anyone who has not ticked the Receive news and update emails box should not be getting the automatic activity summaries if they are enabled in the options.

This is what I thought too.

Top Bottom