XF 1.4 Reason for so many bad requests

Daniel-SP

Hello,

Since I have installed 404 Essentials addon, I have been facing some strange requests that I would like to ask if they are normal. There is somthnig trying to access these pages that make completely no sense.

its like: threads/THREAD_TITLE/pages

These pages seems to be randompages from the forum as the image above ( its showing the requested URLs). Is there any way for me to understand why its happening?

I know that its a addon responsible for this tracking information but I dont see a reason to report a problem for the developer since Its jus logging 404 requests. If I type myself a strange url it logs nicelly.

upload_2014-12-4_16-12-56.webp

Attachments

• upload_2014-12-4_16-11-7.webp
    upload_2014-12-4_16-11-7.webp
    50.5 KB · Views: 3
These are more than likely from bots (or a bot) that doesn't understand the <base> tag. (Or theoretically from somewhere where it has been overwritten/removed.)

The only option would be to look at any referrer header. If it's the thread itself, then you don't really have any useful information, but if it's something else (such as a cached Google result), that'll at least give you more to go on.

Not a lot you can do though.

Right after I make a post, I use the [bd] Social Share plugin to share on Twitter and right after it, I always get like 20 visitors right after its published. Im sure that they are not humans but if that was the problem, It would happen to every post I make and its really random.

Thanks for the help anyway.

We see this errors since we use XenForo and unfortunatelly they are very common.

Some clients simply do not understand the "base" HTML Tag used by XenForo. Years ago we tried to investigate the log lines with referrers and user agents and found no real clue why this happens.

There are many humans with regular and different browsers getting these errors. Often the CSS and/or the JS won't be shown correctly and a page reload is needed.

I wish XenForo would stop using the "base" tag. We found a solution in specifying the external js URL in config.php, even if we do not use an external url. This helps a little bit.

Top Bottom