Lack of interest Read Only Forums Option

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Neutral Singh

Is it possible to make forums read only with a click of a single button?

Forum: On - Off - Read Only

This option would be useful if someone is making changes to the forum but does not want to close the forums to its readers and also when the admins are busy or away and want to leave the forums in read only mode.

Thanks

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Revoke the "Post New Threads" and "Post new Replies" (and other various post permissions for addons) for the registered group.

You really want him to mess around with permissions of several user groups (in some forums: more than a dozen) and addons?

This feature is much needed. E.g. iyou currently take your forum offline, also the pages are offline. If there were a read-only mode they could stay visible.

You really want him to mess around with permissions of several user groups (in some forums: more than a dozen) and addons?

This feature is much needed. E.g. iyou currently take your forum offline, also the pages are offline. If there were a read-only mode they could stay visible.
No, this is altering two permissions for the Registered group. If it's for just a single node then you revoke the "Post New Threads" and "Post new Replies" for that node. If it's for the entire website then you change these permissions in the Registered group from Allow to Not Set (No). That's it. Simple.

As everyone should have the Registered group set at their primary group then this simple alteration will set the forum to read only.

If you don't have the Registered group as the primary group for all users, then Brogan's guide on implementing permissions needs to be read an implemented.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/

As for going offline whilst upgrading and not seeing the forums, that is correct and makes sense as Thread views are recorded in the database and it's probably wise not to have any other writing to the database during an upgrade.

No.
You forget other writes to the database:
  • conversations
  • crons
  • addons
No, I didn't forget them. The point I'm making prior to your quote is it is quite simple to make all forums read-only if for some reason it is required. If you read all of my post, you'll note my last paragraph:

As for going offline whilst upgrading and not seeing the forums, that is correct and makes sense as Thread views are recorded in the database and it's probably wise not to have any other writing to the database during an upgrade.
I was pointing out thread view recording as that was specific to the read-only point being made but I've implied that there is other database writing going on.

Anyway, you've now got an easy solution to make forums read-only and know why this capability isn't available during upgrades.

As Martok said, even with 20 user groups, I can stop all members posting new threads and replies with two clicks.

That's the benefit of cumulative user group permissions.

This option is needed as sometimes instead of closing whole forum , it is better to make it ready only. By making it read only, I & thread owner also (I guess) mean the following :

1. Can view all threads & posts.
2. No one can like anything
3. No one can report anything
4. No one can send any message, just view them.
5. Only fetching queries, no updation in database.

Benefit : sometime you do some work on database like backup etc, by using this option we can make forum visible but users can not make any change to database untill forum is fully open.

Top Bottom