XF 2.2 Reactions In A Weird Spot?

KensonPlays

For some odd reason, reactions are impossible to select a different reaction besides the default "like." I am using the default XenForo style, but customized with a custom color scheme. Otherwise its a default style besides the color changes.

I do not have any reaction modifying addons, the only thing I can think of is maybe extra.less or one of the custom .less I included in extra.less, but I am thinking that isn't very likely.

This is what's happening:
1694359835166.png
The reactions are showing wayyy above, I had to zoom out on my 1440p monitor just to see where it was rendering. Any ideas as to why this is happening?There are zero errors in the error log.

Last edited:
Solution
It was my browser's internal settings (Vivaldi). Its enhanced privacy protections messed with it.

Though I had zero browser console errors, nor zero errors in ACP, I was extremely confused with there being no errors displayed to lead me towards a fix.

With no errors displayed, it led me to think it was not a browser issue, but I turned off Vivaldi's enhanced privacy settings for my site and that seems to have fixed it. It was a built-in setting for Vivaldi that was causing this; which is likely why no browser console errors showed.
Take a look in the default theme - if everything in there looks good then it could be something in your extra.less; the easiest way to find out if it is something in your extra.less is to copy it out and clear it. If everything reverts to where it should be then your culprit is in that file and you will need to sift through it to find what's up.

The above test using the default theme is assuming that your default theme has not been modified in any way - it's always a good measure to judge things by when something looks odd :)

Edit: Just realised your theme is the XF style customised - clear your extra.less and see what happens. It might be a good idea to always have an untouched copy of the default theme to check against.

The default XF theme (hidden for me to test) shows normal. Went back to customized default, cleared extra.less completely, saved and refreshed, no change. Doesn't look like its extra.less, but unsure what else could cause it.

I disabled all addons as well, and no change.

I notice you have a few different themes, is the same happening on all of them, or just one?
I'll check when I get home in a couple hours. I tried remoting into my PC and hovering over the like icon with Anydesk, nothing appeared, so remote access software doesn't help me debug it.

Edit 2: @Davyc - It does seem to happen on all but default XF style (non-customized).

Now reaction popup isn't showing at all hmm . . . ZERO errors in error log. None at all. All Addons disabled a second time, and reactions still not showing. I checked templates, no reaction-related templates are modified.

--
Edit: I went through the process of making an xampp localhost install of XF. installed all my addons with their settings default. exported and imported live site theme. Reactions work fine. I don't think its an addon issue at that point. Seems to be related to reactions themselves.

With the theme export & import it also copied the template modifications, so I don't think its a template modification either.

Last edited:
At this point I would open a ticket with XF and see if they can pinpoint what's going on - it's certainly a strange occurrence that needs further investigation. Let me know how it pans out.

At this point I would open a ticket with XF and see if they can pinpoint what's going on - it's certainly a strange occurrence that needs further investigation. Let me know how it pans out.
Yea, I will. I was hoping that we could figure it out more quickly, but yea, its odd. Will update this thread with the resolution when its done.

It's not a ticket issue - it's related to the custom style.
Our response would just be to identify the modified components to work out which one is causing it.

The default XF theme (hidden for me to test) shows normal.

It's not a ticket issue - it's related to the custom style.
That's what my initial thoughts were. I would begin by commenting out the extra.less components one-by-one, if that proves fruitless, I'd take a look at any files that have be modified and revert them one-by-one. It's a Sherlock Holmes exercise to find who dunnit!

It was my browser's internal settings (Vivaldi). Its enhanced privacy protections messed with it.

Though I had zero browser console errors, nor zero errors in ACP, I was extremely confused with there being no errors displayed to lead me towards a fix.

With no errors displayed, it led me to think it was not a browser issue, but I turned off Vivaldi's enhanced privacy settings for my site and that seems to have fixed it. It was a built-in setting for Vivaldi that was causing this; which is likely why no browser console errors showed.

Solution
Really pleased that you found the culprit. I find it useful to have at least two different browsers installed so I can check if something weird is happening due to a browser conflict. A lot of browsers are built on the Chromium model, so something different from Google Chrome and Edge is useful to have for comparison. Good find very happy that you found the gremlin in the works :)

Really pleased that you found the culprit. I find it useful to have at least two different browsers installed so I can check if something weird is happening due to a browser conflict. A lot of browsers are built on the Chromium model, so something different from Google Chrome and Edge is useful to have for comparison. Good find very happy that you found the gremlin in the works :)
Yea, I have Edge & Vivaldi as my browsers, didn't really have a use for others since I'd only open them once a year haha. I'll find one later.

Sorry to necro my own thread, but this seems to be happening again.

I've already tried creating a fresh "Default XF" theme, and disabled every single addon on the site, and it's doing the same thing.

Tried both Edge and Firefox, so two different engines. Both are doing it. I've disabled AdGuard on the system level, in addition to the browser addons.

I've also commented out the entire extra.less file, no change.

Paused Cloudflare, as well.

Can't really test locally, since I don't know how to export and setup locally with cpanel on the web host (they provide the license, I have no cpanel license)

Any ideas? I'm about to just delete all the reactions except the default, since its happening again, with all those things I tried above.

I also tried the Arc beta browser (windows) yesterday, no change.

Still having this issue. (the other thread was resolved, but fixing extra.less didn't fix reactions) Any ideas?

@Digital Doctor - Don't use vivaldi anymore, it became even more buggy later on so I've stopped using it.

I'm using Edge as my primary now, with Arc Windows beta, and FF (rarely used). All 3 of them are doing the same thing, with 2 engines.

@KensonPlays

Sometimes when I need to figure out random issues like this, I'll do the following:

1. Export your current style
  2. Import it again with a new name "My Style - Debug"
  3. Switch the style on the forums (just for your account) and make sure the problem is still there
  4. Go to Admin panel -> Appearance -> Styles -> Click the 3 dots next to the debug style and select Customized components
  5. From there, I'll select the "select all" for style properties, and click revert1710016820120.webp
  6. Refresh the page and see if the problem is still there (if it's fixed then the problem is inside the style properties)
  7. Repeat the same step for the templates (for templates I do a few at a time).

Remember which items you're reverting and of course make sure you do this on the "debug style"

The goal is after each time you revert a batch of edited properties; you refresh to see if the problem is fixed. Once the problem is fixed, you need to re-import the style again (as a debug) and narrow down which area is problematic. It's a bit time-consuming but can definitely help find random issues like this ASSUMING it's style related.

@KensonPlays

Sometimes when I need to figure out random issues like this, I'll do the following:

1. Export your current style
  2. Import it again with a new name "My Style - Debug"
  3. Switch the style on the forums (just for your account) and make sure the problem is still there
  4. Go to Admin panel -> Appearance -> Styles -> Click the 3 dots next to the debug style and select Customized components
  5. From there, I'll select the "select all" for style properties, and click revertView attachment 299408
  6. Refresh the page and see if the problem is still there (if it's fixed then the problem is inside the style properties)
  7. Repeat the same step for the templates (for templates I do a few at a time).

Remember which items you're reverting and of course make sure you do this on the "debug style"

The goal is after each time you revert a batch of edited properties; you refresh to see if the problem is fixed. Once the problem is fixed, you need to re-import the style again (as a debug) and narrow down which area is problematic. It's a bit time-consuming but can definitely help find random issues like this ASSUMING it's style related.
Alright, I created a copy and reverted all style properties, then did a "cache clear and hard reload" - made no change, still showing up below footer. Afterwards I even reverted all templates (On the debug) and did another "cache clear and hard reload" - same thing, still showing below footer.

I have already disabled all addons previously and that made no change too. I've "rebuilt master data" too.

Top Bottom