XF 2.0 Re-Opt-In Email Preferences For Existing Members

sgr

For existing members:

- Is it possible to clear the existing user preferences for the two email options and have them opt-in again? I could only find a way to force privacy policy and T&Cs, not any of the email checkboxes. Not sure, but this might be required to comply with GDPR(?). Here's an article on re-permissioning:

https://www.emarsys.com/en/resource...ide-re-permissioning-campaigns-gdpr-examples/

If you can’t identify how, when, and where consent was obtained, the best option in order to be compliant is to ask (to communicate with contacts) again.

For some businesses, this may mean you need to re-permission your entire database. For example, you’ll need to re-permission if you’ve always used a “pre-checked” box for “consent by default” — which is no longer sufficient under the GDPR.

To clear the existing values, you'd need to run a query manually:
Code:
UPDATE xf_user_option SET received_admin_email = 0;
(Always recommend taking a backup before running any query against the DB.)

That should remove the "receive news and update emails".

I would likely consider options surrounding emails on conversations or for threads you watch to mostly be transactional in nature as they relate specifically to the user's interactions with the site, so the rules are different there, though clearly you may wish to confirm that for your specific usage.

I would likely consider options surrounding emails on conversations or for threads you watch to mostly be transactional in nature as they relate specifically to the user's interactions with the site, so the rules are different there, though clearly you may wish to confirm that for your specific usage.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

If we do decide to clear the existing preference, just this one query would suffice, correct?

SQL:
UPDATE xf_user_option SET email_on_conversation = 0;

Top Bottom