*rant* Hotmail aren't secure enough

Microsoft and Yahoo are as likely to do the same thing, if not more so.
Let's agree to disagree.

Although Microsoft logs everything you do as well, as far as I know they don't sell the information. While Gmail -for example- logs all incoming and outgoing emails and uses those logs to get advertisement money. Also, considering they have browser plugins / the google search site, Gmail, Google desktop, Google maps, Phone software and much more while also still expanding, the amount of information they have about you is starting to get a little creepy in my humble opinion.

Let's agree to disagree.

Although Microsoft logs everything you do as well, as far as I know they don't sell the information. While Gmail -for example- logs all incoming and outgoing emails and uses those logs to get advertisement money. Also, considering they have browser plugins / the google search site, Gmail, Google desktop, Google maps, Phone software and much more while also still expanding, the amount of information they have about you is starting to get a little creepy in my humble opinion.

Internet Explorer
Bing
Hotmail/Live
Microsoft Windows
Bing Maps
Windows Mobile, Windows 7 Mobile

And you think Microsoft doesn't log emails? Or chat logs from their messenger? Its a known fact that they do, and if any legal authority requests information from them, they'll give it to them.

Google actually fights for their users privacy (You'll remember a few years back they wouldn't release logs relating to what users have searched on their site).

Yeah, their likely to have a ton of information about you, but so do most companies; all search engines log things about their users, and they often sell it for advertising purposes.

Well now they let the authorities combine Google Earth with various data. And they use Google street view cars to listen into our WIFI networks and combine the IP data with the information they already have. Interpret that as you want, but Google surely isn't scoring high for privacy.
its not about logs. Logs are everywhere. Its about content indexing, analysing, combining content and user profiling. That content includes your private emails, your searches, your medical data, your geolocation data(from phone, WIFI), and a lot more. It places a lot of knowledge and power in the same hands.

Here is a small part of your details on Google: https://www.google.com/dashboard/
These articles are very informative:
Google Privacy wars
Consumer Watchdog asks Google, FBI, DEA: Is Internet Giant’s Technology Being Used to Spy On Americans? [/ur]
http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/corporateering/articles/?storyId=35501Google’s ties to CIA point up need for transparency

Well now they let the authorities combine Google Earth with various data. And they use Google street view cars to listen into our WIFI networks and combine the IP data with the information they already have. Interpret that as you want, but Google surely isn't scoring high for privacy.
its not about logs. Logs are everywhere. Its about content indexing, analysing, combining content and user profiling. That content includes your private emails, your searches, your medical data, your geolocation data(from phone, WIFI), and a lot more. It places a lot of knowledge and power in the same hands.

Here is a small part of your details on Google: https://www.google.com/dashboard/
These articles are very informative:
Google Privacy wars
Consumer Watchdog asks Google, FBI, DEA: Is Internet Giant’s Technology Being Used to Spy On Americans? [/ur]
Google’s ties to CIA point up need for transparency

All of which many other companies do, including their competitors.

That information about Google just casually sniffing of Wi-Fi networks soured me on the whole "Do No Evil" thing, that, and their insistence to keep the Chinese government happy by censoring their own content to anything the government objects to.

I missed a real Goodie, since Google itself now warns us that we are unprepared for whats to come:
Google CEO warns of data explosion and future without privacy

"People aren't ready" for what's to come

I particularly find this part interesting (if you see it within the perspective of the rest of the article):
Every forum you visit and post on gives another bit of info about you. If you link a screename to your real name someone out there will be able to match all the data. And this is only now; what happens when the data tsunami strikes us tomorrow?

Schmidt warns that we are not ready for it: “There was 5 exabytes of information created between the dawn of civilization through 2003, but that much information is now created every 2 days, and the pace is increasing.”

In a stark warning, he added: “People aren't ready for the technology revolution that's going to happen to them.”

Note “to them”. This isn't about raw data hitting the web. It's your data, data you didn't even know was going up there. The CIA doesn't need to profile you; it just needs to browse the internet, because you will have inadvertently profiled yourself.

When you read between the lines this could mean that:

• Google data indexing & information analysing methods are able analyse forum content and tie many accounts to persons.
  • Similar to the analysing of your email content, your google searches, the data on your computer, the information in your google apps/docs, your browsing behaviour, it is also your forum content and that of your members that is analysed by Google.
I really wonder what role Google analytics, Google Adsense and Google Chrome play in all this.

So why is the Google CEO explaining this to the people and referring , right after Google got in bed with the CIA? See this article:
Google and the CIA are teaming up to invest in a web monitoring software called Recorded Future, which scours the web to find connections between people and events, creating new privacy concerns when Google is already the subject of multiple investigations.
http://www.techeye.net/software/goo...-monitoring-software

All of which many other companies do, including their competitors.
I don't think so. Which company has been driving around on every street in the civilised world photographing it all and listening into all WIFI networks, or lets the CIA invest $10 million into web monitoring projects, or is mass buying unmanned air vehicles with built-in cameras?

I missed a real Goodie, since Google itself now warns us that we are unprepared for whats to come:

Google CEO warns of data explosion and future without privacy

"People aren't ready" for what's to come

I particularly find this part interesting (if you see it within the perspective of the rest of the article):

When you read between the lines this could mean that:

• Google data indexing & information analysing methods are able analyse forum content and tie many accounts to persons.
  • Similar to the analysing of your email content, your google searches, the data on your computer, the information in your google apps/docs, your browsing behaviour, it is also your forum content and that of your members that is analysed by Google.
I really wonder what role Google analytics, Google Adsense and Google Chrome play in all this.
So why is the Google CEO explaining this to the people and referring , right after Google got in bed with the CIA? See this article:

http://www.techeye.net/software/goo...-monitoring-software

I don't think so. Which company has been driving around on every street in the civilised world photographing it all and listening into all WIFI networks, or lets the CIA invest $10 million into web monitoring projects, or is mass buying unmanned air vehicles with built-in cameras?

I'm just going to stop arguing, because you're seriously one of those conspiracy theorist people who will not listen to reason, and I rather post on this site without quibbling over little things. Google's Satan, clearly.

Since this is turning towards political angle, I am taking a step back from this as well.

I am here to not argue on this board, but to discuss what benefits the xenforo as a product.

I'm just going to stop arguing, because you're seriously one of those conspiracy theorist people who will not listen to reason, and I rather post on this site without quibbling over little things. Google's Satan, clearly.
Thats just a recent news article about a press release from Googles CEO. I do not think there is any conspiracy. Google is relatively open about what they are doing and they are warning us. Everyone can do with that warning from Google, whatever they want.
Im still searching in Google and using Analytics, because they are important tools. But I personally think it is important to take notice of Googles warning and to re-evaluate Google if this warning becomes reality.

If you're worried about the CIA profiling you...then you have a much bigger problem than Google.

Im not worried about being profiled as a person, but see the development as worrisome for internet users, including forum users.

Gmail, ftw :)

Google Apps Accounts FTW... even better than gmail 90% of the time, though it is annoying new features get rolled to Google Apps Last :(...

Still benefit from having your own @domain.com without the overhead on your own server and also benefit from cal, docs etc from that domain also... :D...

GApps is win, I agree.
Hotmail is absolute balls on anything but mega ultra 1gbps high-speed. Don't use ASP.NET for email even if it is your technology, MS.

Top Bottom