• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

ragtek Todays Birthdays

• Thread starter Thread starter ragtek
  • Start date Start date
Looks great! :)

Today's needs an apostrophe though and for the sub heading all of the words should have an initial capital letter and a colon, to match the other block - People Celebrating Their Birthday:

**Update**

Version 1.0.2 available in 1. post
Changehistory:
New template (thx to the great xf community helping with this;) )
If the age is available (if the user set his birth year) it will be shown
age1.webp

Nice work.

Is the age text all in the phrases? or is some it hard coded in the template?

I will probably change it to something like: ragtek23, 27 today

Just looks like a colon I will need to remove from the template.
Can't you move that to the phrase too?

I've just installed the latest version, but only the user name is displaying in the tooltip.

I've just installed the latest version, but only the user name is displaying in the tooltip.
Oh, i've forgotten that the cache needs to be rebuild, because the age is now missing in the cached values:/

you could:
  • run the cron manual
  • wait 1h so the cron runs automatic (servertime 00:01)
  • install the new version, which rebuilds the cache while the install process

Yes, as i said, i've forgotten to rebuild the cache after the upgrade, so the ages are available in the cached data:(

(That's one of the reasons, why i hate dealing with cached data:D )

Hope you don't mind me making a few suggestions :)

The phrase ragtek_todays_birthdays_subheadering should be ragtek_todays_birthdays_subheading

The phrase ragtek_todays_birthdays_subheading content should be People Celebrating Their Birthday:
This would make it consistent with the other block.

For the tooltip, I would change it from ragtek23 - Age: 27 to just ragtek23, 27
I think the word Age is superfluous and you just need the actual figure.

Oh and I would change the title of the add-on to ragtek Today's birthdays sidebar block

*scnr* :D

...D: *epic squees* Yesss! My forum always wishes people's birthdays, so when you get some of these quggestions down (if you do), I'll install it. ^-^

Made a few changes to mine :)

birthdays.webp

This is how I edited the template:
Code:
<div class="section avatarList">
    <div class="secondaryContent">
        <h3>{xen:phrase ragtek_todays_birthdays}</h3>
      <ul class="followedOnline">
            <xen:foreach loop="$users" value="$user">
                  <li title="{$user.username}<xen:if is="{$user.age}">, {$user.age}</xen:if>" class="Tooltip"><xen:avatar user="$user" size="s" img="true" class="_plainImage" /></li>
            </xen:foreach>
        </ul>
    </div>
</div>

I obviously edited the phrase too.

Regarding privacy, if you set View your details on your profile page to People you follow only, the avatar still appears in the block.

It only disappears if you uncheck Show day and month of birth.

The phrase ragtek_todays_birthdays_subheading content should be People Celebrating Their Birthday:
This would make it consistent with the other block.
changed
For the tooltip, I would change it from ragtek23 - Age: 27 to just ragtek23, 27
I think the word Age is superfluous and you just need the actual figure.
changed
Oh and I would change the title of the add-on to ragtek Today's birthdays sidebar block

*scnr* :D
changed

Regarding privacy, if you set View your details on your profile page to People you follow only, the avatar still appears in the block.

It only disappears if you uncheck Show day and month of birth.
Hm, this is IMHO tricky and would need to be checked on runtime.

I could ignore this users or check it on runtime(but this could add too many extra queries to grab the followers of each birthday user if his profile is only for his followers..)

In that case don't worry about it.

If people are that bothered they can just omit their birthday altogether.

Nice work ragtek, off to do final tests and install it on my live site (y)

OK, final tests done ;)

Do you have any plans to update this further as I'm going to make quite a few changes to the templates and phrases?

No, i think that i'm finished.
Only problem is the privacy setting, but to upgrade to this you'll only need to overwrite the file, so your changed templates won't be changed;)

Options I would like to see for the future:

1) A text-link only option (sometimes you have thousands of members and quite a few always have no avatar if they haven't visited in years and you've gone through imports/merges where you may have lost old ones).
2) Perhaps also add an option for only showing birthdays/avatars for those who have had activity in the past X days? That would cut down on the old avatar-less people since we've lost some avatars over the years. I'd set this to 90 days or so, as only those who are most recent would end up with a birthday mention on the site anyway.

Thanks for your consideration.

I get this error on installing:

Invalid id or tag 'xftest_data_ragtek.today_birthdays' : must use only [a-zA-Z0-9_]

Top Bottom