R.I.P

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
My trusty Laserjet 5P printer :cry:

Its quite bizare, but upon the realisation that my trusty 17 year old printer has finally thrown in the towel for good did tug on the heartstrings a little. Who would have thought you could get attached to an inanimate object :confused:

We knew it was on the blink a couple of weeks back when it would randomly print out a line of jibberish over and over again instead of the actual document, but a power cycle usualy fixed it, unfortunately today it just wouldnt fix.

Time to go shopping for a replacement :(

Epson Stylus Photo R340

ContentServer

Matching scanner as well. Epson Perfection 4490 Photo

4490_fca-cnr-nn_690x460.jpg

I'm actually shopping for a durable printer that has low cost print cartridge. I know the industry likes to give away printer and take your wallet with those cartridges.

I'm actually shopping for a durable printer that has low cost print cartridge. I know the industry likes to give away printer and take your wallet with those cartridges.

I ended up going with http://www.printerland.co.uk/Samsung-ML-3310ND-P112404.aspx

At around 1.8p per page it seemed like a very solid contender for the price for general day to day b+w printing (I very rarely use color, and if I do its usually something that needs to be proffessionally done anyway)

Will be coming on wednesday so I can let you know how it fares if you want.

Remember though, I'm not paying £10 per Epson cartridge. I buy clones instead at a £1 each, they do the same job. ;)

So forget 10p per page!

I read you say before it's only used for text, so yes a laser printer is the best choice by far for you.

The scanner I listed above is a good one, very in fact. I scanned some images from a World Bird Species book I have the other day, then edited them in Photoshop. You can some results here and it shows what good use a decent scanner can be, worth noting also I wasn't even scanning nowhere near the full image quality it's capable off actually scanning at.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/scanning-book-images-and-editing-them.30428/

If we're talking printers, let me show you my baby, an HP Z6100. She only does big though :p

I know what you mean about being attached, when I end up having to move at some point I'm not going to able to take her with me and I'll seriously miss having it next to my desk.

Attachments

• z6100large.webp
    z6100large.webp
    114.1 KB · Views: 32
Those old LaserJets were bloody indestructible. The newer ones are junk, my 1020 lasted a little over a year.

If you're still after recommendations, you can't go wrong with the Samsung ML-series, but I think the days of having a printer last two decades are over.

Its quite bizare, but upon the realisation that my trusty 17 year old printer has finally thrown in the towel for good did tug on the heartstrings a little. Who would have thought you could get attached to an inanimate object :confused:
I could understand that... impressive to say the least getting 17 years out of a printer.

I bought one of the early Colour LasetJets off eBay once. Nearly snapped my spine in half trying to get it up the stairs, just to find out it was too big for the desk in the office. Sold it on eBay the following week!

I've got a Samsung CLP-500, it nearly bit the dust last year, but a set of consumables sorted it out. Hopefully it'll last for another few years before it needs to be replaced. Its ridiculous that a set of colour toners cost more than the damn printer did in the first place.

Its ridiculous that a set of colour toners cost more than the damn printer did in the first place.
Yer, that's what gets me about the silly things. We have a new Samsung colour laser purchased last year, cost about $800 as the new product... can buy now for $400 - $500 in just six months. The cost of cartridges are ridiculous, and we get them in bulk from a wholesaler, so we're getting them cheap in the scheme of things. We've already done some consumable roller thing in it, another consumable collector of left over laser dust or such, all of which cost more than the printer to replace now.

When this one dies eventually, as our gets worked pretty good for business use, we're just gonna go more upmarket this time to higher quality commercial grade and spend the money once for longevity.

Top Bottom