R.I.P

We've already done some consumable roller thing in it, another consumable collector of left over laser dust or such, all of which cost more than the printer to replace now.
Yeah, the waste toner issue is a problem for light users like me as it means you waste a lot of toner to print just a few pages at a time as it goes through its cycle every time it warms up.

I loved my LaserJet 4P.

Wasn't that the laserjet which had the talking software? lol
I remember the Laserjet 4 Plus range had a voice which would tell you about paper jams and other assorted messages.

And yea, there's certain models/ranges which are really built to last, especially some of the old Deskjet/laserjet series', such as the 4, 4p, 4 plus and the Deskjet 500/500c, which never seemed to die.

I bought a HP deskject 940c refurbished off ebay about 6 years ago for about $30. It still works even though looks very beat up.
I bought OEM cartridges off ebay for 1/4 of the retail price.

Have been thinking about throwing this 940c away for a more modern printer but the newer ones just seem to be drinking expensive cartridges only.
I don't print enough to justify the cost of a laser printer and toner.

I bought a HP deskject 940c refurbished off ebay about 6 years ago for about $30. It still works even though looks very beat up.
I bought OEM cartridges off ebay for 1/4 of the retail price.

Have been thinking about throwing this 940c away for a more modern printer but the newer ones just seem to be drinking expensive cartridges only.
I don't print enough to justify the cost of a laser printer and toner.

So the new laser came today.

First impressions.

It had some weight and a decent enough build quality to it. It doesn't feel as robust at the old laser jet, however you can tell that it is a solid printer.

Setup was quick and easy, and I was printing within 10 minutes of opening the box via network.

Print quality is good, clean letters. Duplexing works flawlessly.

Print speed is very good, its a little noisy but it's not too much of an issue given the speed.

For 120 quid (and you get a 40 quid cashback also form samsung) it seems like a good little printer.

Can't go wrong for that price - let's hope it lasts as long as your 5P!! :D

I've been using a Xerox Phaser at home - has those solid ink cartridges - nice and cheap to run, which is exactly what you need when you have an 8 year old who hits the print button like she's playing Donkey Kong! :ROFLMAO:

I don't think I'd ever buy an inkjet again, so many companies, perhaps all, put in special measures so you can't refill or use recycled cartridges, it really is a rip off.

Lasers seem a "bit" easier to refill, but then you also have to factor in wear/tear on the drum and....imaging unit?

Don't expect *any* modern printer to last for 17 years though. It's not gonna happen.

Hardware like those old HP printers is simply no longer built today and this is not limited to printers. I'm still typing on a 1992 built IBM model M keyboard and it does not show a single sign of a possible breakdown in the foreseeable future :)

We have an HP LaserJet 3050 All-in-One
http://www.hp.com/united-states/products/laserjet-3050-aio.html

Worked great in Windows XP... but since we just upgraded my father's computer to Windows 7, it has become a nightmare. HP has all but abandoned their driver and software support in favor of the build in Windows 7 Universal Print Drivers and "Windows Fax and Scan". Sounds nice, but compatibility has been spotty at best. In addition to that, it does not support PDFs.

We've always had issues with HP drivers in general. He has 2 printers, at one time they were both HP. But when we moved from Windows 98 to Windows XP, the drivers started causing problems. HP drivers were never designed with the thought of someone having 2 different HP printers at once. So the drivers never knew how to handle it and ended up competing with each other. About 4 years ago, we tossed out his main HP printer and got a Xerox; been happy ever since. It even installed to Windows 7 perfectly well.

Tomorrow we plan on throwing out the 3050 and picking up a Canon imageCLASS MF4890dw.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828142467

I used to hold HP in such high regard; my HP 930c is probably the best printer I've ever had. They have always had much better image fidelity and less bleed than all other brands. But now they have completely fallen apart in my eyes with their lack of support. I don't plan on buying another HP printer anytime soon.

I agree about HP
I made the mistake of buying two HP Officejet "Professional" printers, both were rubbish, had known issues that HP just ignored (paper feeds/jams galore, ink seemingly evaporating etc)

I agree about HP
I made the mistake of buying two HP Officejet "Professional" printers, both were rubbish, had known issues that HP just ignored (paper feeds/jams galore, ink seemingly evaporating etc)
Well, then what are models that have a history of making durable printers then? If you are buying a different brand, you are buying unknown anyway.

Refurb HP 4/5 FTW

I picked up a free 4+ a few years ago. Threw a rebuilt fuser and aftermarket toner cartridge in it, and it's been going strong ever since.

I'm lucky to get a year out of my printers. I literally have a stack in my garage that I have no clue what to do with. All broken and not worth fixing. (mix of inkjets and lasers)

They definitely don't make them like they used to. I had a couple of printers that lasted 10 years. What happened to quality craftsmanship?

A lot of the early HP printers lasted for years, heck, decades.

When I worked at the local hospital as an IT tech, they bought HP printers exclusively.

The Laserjet 4 and 4 Plus outlasted many of the later Laserjet models, by years.

Some of the old Deskjet 500's were still trundling along, printing tens of pages of stuff each day, for many, many years, yet the later models, like the 600 series, only lasted a few years.

I think my favourite printers from that era, was the Deskjet 720C and 890/895C

Top Bottom