XF 1.3 Quoting problems with GIFs

Martok

I'm having a problem when quoting or editing posts that include GIFs and this has been reported by several other members too. The issue only seems to occur when using Chrome on Android . When quoting or editing, the quoted text and GIF flashes:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

At first I thought it might be BB Code, so I tested with other GIFs (the one above is from another website; I've tried several other types of GIFs too) and got the same thing.

The issue only seems to occur with the quick reply box and editing using the overlay. The issue doesn't occur when using the full editor. The issue also doesn't occur when you are making your own reply and adding GIFs, it's only when quoting a post with a GIF.

I disabled all add-ons but the issue remained. I've also tested here on XenForo but can't replicate the issue. I've had a brief test on Cyclechat where they use animated GIF smilies like my site does but couldn't replicate it there either.

I've also checked the browser console but cannot see any errors.

As I said, the issue only seems to occur on Chrome for Android (Chrome, FF and IE11 on Windows 7, Chrome and Safari on iPad iOS 7.1.2 were fine). The issue seems more prominent on my Nexus 7 too. When I checked with my Sony Xperia it was there but it wasn't flashing as much - the quoted text just flashed slightly (and on a few occasions there was no flashing but only part of the text displayed but was there when you looked in the BB Code editor) and the editor overlay had less flashing.

It does seem to suggest that it might be a browser issue but it must be more than that if I can't replicate it elsewhere. I want to get this fixed but I'm now at a loss as to what is causing the problem.

Interesting that no-one has any suggestions, so maybe I'm not the only one stumped.

Anyway I've just encountered the issue when using Chrome on Windows 7. I quoted a post with a GIF smiley in it and as I typed, the text flickered a few times. Not as bad as on my Nexus 7 but it definitely flickered.

I would probably make a copy of your style and start reverting individual elements to identify the cause. You may find that you have added some "expensive" CSS somewhere which is causing a costly redraw when the editor content changes. (Use the customized components system for this; I'd probably revert the style properties first.)

I followed your advice and copied my style (which is based on the default one). I made the copy the default style and I reverted all customised components. Prior to this I had disabled all add-ons too (both from within the ACP and also in config.php to be sure). The flashing did seem to be a bit better but it was still present.

So, is there anything else that could cause this?

Top Bottom