quoting an image?

erich37

when a user posts an image in a forum-post.
Then when I quote his post, the image does not show in the quote anymore.

Is there a way in order to show the image in the quote, but not the text "view attachment 225"....

thanks!

I just thought it would look nicer to see the image (when quoting a text which also contains an image) that to just show some text aka "view attachment 123".

Thanks.

Same issue here. I've always founds this frustrating. This behaviour makes it feel very broken/incomplete for visitors.

I've spent a while messing around with the bb_code_attach_template, but have had no luck displaying the thumbnail for quoted images (forum hosted ones).

Is there any dirty/hack-ish way to just make this happen? All of our visitor attached images are public anyhow.
Losing image/attachment permissions is not a problem here.

Many thanks for any insight or advice.

erich37: It seems we always end up in the same threads. Trying to improve Xenforo usability/experience :)

Is there any dirty/hack-ish way to just make this happen?

The problem is that the attachment record is not available for these "foreign" attachments. That means no thumbnail URL.

A simple template edit isn't enough. An addon is required to fetch these attachment records. I believe you need to extend this function to scrape the posts for [attach] tags and query those attachment ids if necessary:

XenForo_Model_Post::getAndMergeAttachmentsIntoPosts

@AndyB has an addon that does this. I think it's this one:

Yes, there's an add-on by @AndyB.

@AndyB has an addon that does this. I think it's this one:

Thanks everyone ! Worked perfectly !

Vanderpump Rules Oops GIF

I don't want pictures quoted, I much prefer it the way it is. More and more people are doing mobile screen shots and they are huge. Then the next 3 guys quote it and the whole topic has gigantic pictures in it.

I like it quoting just the text and if I want to see the image I find myself clicking the up arrow beside the quoters name to see the full post as the easiest way to see the image.

My vote is for Xenforo to keep it the way it is and anyone else can use Andy's addon. I see Xenforo has done that so it is a good compromise.

I still wish there was an addon that would allow large uploads but would resize the picture to my specified limit whilst reducing the kb size as well.

I had a previous forum which allowed pretty well any size of picture to be uploaded but then converted it to a specified pixel size and a reduced kb size.

On a forum before that I had a similar script that even watermarked the image, that was very cool.

I don't want pictures quoted, I much prefer it the way it is. More and more people are doing mobile screen shots and they are huge. Then the next 3 guys quote it and the whole topic has gigantic pictures in it.

With the Remove attach limits add-on, the image in the quote is shown thumbnail size. Also when a very large image is attached, it's resize by XenForo assuming you have the "Maximum attachment image dimensions" set to a reasonable number in the Options page.

With the Remove attach limits add-on, the image in the quote is shown thumbnail size. Also when a very large image is attached, it's resize by XenForo assuming you have the "Maximum attachment image dimensions" set to a reasonable number in the Options page.

Thanks for the response Andy

I just installed it, that is actually the best compromise of all, now it is PERFECT.

Top Bottom