1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quoting an image?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by erich37, Oct 30, 2012.

1. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

when a user posts an image in a forum-post.
    Then when I quote his post, the image does not show in the quote anymore.

Is there a way in order to show the image in the quote, but not the text "view attachment 225"....

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I have examined the code. It only shows attachments inline that belong to the post. It does this for a good reason (permission checking). Changing this is not a simple matter.
    Shelley and erich37 like this.
  3. erich37

I just thought it would look nicer to see the image (when quoting a text which also contains an image) that to just show some text aka "view attachment 123".

4. TrevC

TrevC Well-Known Member

Same issue here. I've always founds this frustrating. This behaviour makes it feel very broken/incomplete for visitors.

I've spent a while messing around with the bb_code_attach_template, but have had no luck displaying the thumbnail for quoted images (forum hosted ones).

Is there any dirty/hack-ish way to just make this happen? All of our visitor attached images are public anyhow.
    Losing image/attachment permissions is not a problem here.

Many thanks for any insight or advice.

erich37: It seems we always end up in the same threads. Trying to improve Xenforo usability/experience :)
    erich37 likes this.
  5. erich37

great minds think alike ;)
  6. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The problem is that the attachment record is not available for these "foreign" attachments. That means no thumbnail URL.

A simple template edit isn't enough. An addon is required to fetch these attachment records. I believe you need to extend this function to scrape the posts for [attach] tags and query those attachment ids if necessary:

Brandon Sheley likes this.