• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

quoting an image?

erich37

when a user posts an image in a forum-post.
Then when I quote his post, the image does not show in the quote anymore.

Is there a way in order to show the image in the quote, but not the text "view attachment 225"....

thanks!

erich37

I just thought it would look nicer to see the image (when quoting a text which also contains an image) that to just show some text aka "view attachment 123".

Thanks.

TrevC

Same issue here. I've always founds this frustrating. This behaviour makes it feel very broken/incomplete for visitors.

I've spent a while messing around with the bb_code_attach_template, but have had no luck displaying the thumbnail for quoted images (forum hosted ones).

Is there any dirty/hack-ish way to just make this happen? All of our visitor attached images are public anyhow.
Losing image/attachment permissions is not a problem here.

Many thanks for any insight or advice.

erich37: It seems we always end up in the same threads. Trying to improve Xenforo usability/experience :)

Jake Bunce

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Is there any dirty/hack-ish way to just make this happen?
The problem is that the attachment record is not available for these "foreign" attachments. That means no thumbnail URL.

A simple template edit isn't enough. An addon is required to fetch these attachment records. I believe you need to extend this function to scrape the posts for [attach] tags and query those attachment ids if necessary:

XenForo_Model_Post::getAndMergeAttachmentsIntoPosts