Quick question about new columns added to an existing xf column

DJ XtAzY

So I've been creating some in-house addons and it's been doing great...until I disable them. I did add new columns (varchar types) to an existing xenforo table. Basically my question is that if I do create new columns and add them to an existing xf table, should I set them to default to NULL? I did extend DataWriter so I guess when I disable the addon, the original DataWriter class doesn't know what values to set for those extra columns. I just learned this now from Mike's quote:

If you're adding columns to existing tables, you must add a default value. Why? It's not for your code, it's not for the data writer.

It's for when people disable your add-on (or if someone does happen to insert into the DB without a data writer).

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
What are the columns for and how does the code utilise the content?
Depending on the use you may need to set them to NULL, 0, or something else.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Yeah, as Paul says, every column you add to a default table should have a default value. What that is, is sort of irrelevant. It could be anything.

The exception is BLOB and TEXT and several other field types and their variants. These cannot accept a default value. So for those field types you should allow NULL.