Questions

Valhalla

When using the free demo (http://xenforo.com/demo/) is the Resource Manager included in that demo? From the Admin CP I notice there is a Resources section Applications -> Resources. Is this what the Resource Manager extra refers to, or is this something else?

Previously, I have used Sphinx Search (http://sphinxsearch.com) to allow searching of a large number of messages and threads. Does Elasticsearch have similar principles to this?

Also, how can I change my display name on the XenForo Community?

Yes, the demo includes the resource manager.

Yes, Elasticsearch/enhanced search is for large numbers of posts and threads.

PM a member of staff (Brogan, Slavik, etc.)

Liam

Ta for your responses.

I have a few more questions: does XenForo allow, either by core or by add-on, the use of different sized avatars based on which usergroup a user is in? Obviously, I different sized avatars wouldn't look consistent with the current post layout, but I was wondering if this was possible.

Also, does the notifications feature (new message, new trophy, etc.) use polling so there would be no need to refresh the page, or does it only update when refreshing the page? I ask because it may be a setting which is disabled on this forum, but still a feature.

Last edited:
Avatars are hard coded but a few people have implemented different sized avatars via various means.
For custom sized based on user group though that would probably require a custom add-on.

Alerts are triggered by ajax actions or page refreshes.
Facebook style push alerts are outside the scope of most servers.

Thanks for the reply.

I have another question about using the Importer tool. Is it prone to the time-out tendencies of the server (PHP) / browser? If so, what could I do to increase my chances of it being successful. I have a large board. Would it be possible to import via command line ?

How big is the forum you would be importing?
The standard importer runs in the browser so it can time out but refreshing it resumes it.

There is a command line importer but it is beta status.

There are also third party importers (for vB) which are considerably faster and import more content.

Over a million posts and 45,000 members (although, not vB). I have written my own converters (from other software) in the past so I've faced this problem before.

Do I need to own a licensed yet to see the beta command line importer?

I'll have a look at the third party importers.

One million posts won't be any issue at all for the built in importer.

Yes, the command line importer is included with the files so you would need a license to view the code.
Be aware it is only for vB.

They are stored in the database, unless you specify they be stored as files. However, that option is only recommended if you have opcode caching. WebDAV support works with either method of storage.

Is it possible to extend the demo of an existing forum (i.e. 'sted of making a new one when the demo expires) ?

In the demo forum, am I able to test the import tool (using something other than localhost) ?

Is it possible to extend the demo of an existing forum (i.e. 'sted of making a new one when the demo expires) ?

In the demo forum, am I able to test the import tool (using something other than localhost) ?

I think I've found that I can export a style, so this is a workaround.

But please could someone answer my second question?

Also, does the notifications feature (new message, new trophy, etc.) use polling so there would be no need to refresh the page, or does it only update when refreshing the page? I ask because it may be a setting which is disabled on this forum, but still a feature.

As @Brogan stated Alerts are done via Page Refresh but there is an add-on created by @Chris Deeming called Live Update. This adds an alert in the favicon and works without refreshing so if you're not on the forum page for example and instead on a new tab such as email, you can see you have an alert on the forum. I tested it out once a while ago so can't speak for the latest version or usage but generally speaking, Chris is a reputable and well known developer here so if he says it does X, Y, and Z then chances are it does X, Y, and Z and does them well.

Top Bottom