Questions

Mahn

1. If i have a website with xenForo (www.example1.com) and one day decide to shut down that website. Can i open a new website (www.example2.com) with the same license?

2. How much skill does the installation require?

3. Once xenForo is installed on my server, can i configure everything through the ACP? New themes ect.

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes.
Am I allowed to change the URL where my forum is installed?
You can change it at any time. Ensure you update your account details in the Customers area.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

2. Installation is very simple, involving uploading the files and entering a few details - see the Help Manual: http://xenforo.com/help/installation/

3. Yes - everything is done via the ACP. Any add-ons will also require the files uploading to your web server but installation is still done via the ACP.

There's an online demo here: Admin Demo

Let go fairly big and say 50,000 members, and about 1000 of them active. And can you use GoDaddy.com?
Unless you already have a forum that has that many members it's fair to say that most forum admins by (an) order(s) of magnitude overestimate how many members and traffic they will receive. It's not just about your members, people who just view your site without being registered generate queries and suck up your bandwidth as well.

If you are just starting out then it's a good idea to get a carefully managed shared hosting plan. The important part is to pick a company with which you can grow into VPS or dedicated hosting should you actually need it rather than having to change hosts and deal with all the issues that come with that.

I wrote up why I personally like Liquidweb.com VPS/Dedicated/Cloud XenForo Hosting Recommendation

Unless you already have a forum that has that many members it's fair to say that most forum admins by (an) order(s) of magnitude overestimate how many members and traffic they will receive. It's not just about your members, people who just view your site without being registered generate queries and suck up your bandwidth as well.

If you are just starting out then it's a good idea to get a carefully managed shared hosting plan. The important part is to pick a company with which you can grow into VPS or dedicated hosting should you actually need it rather than having to change hosts and deal with all the issues that come with that.

I wrote up why I personally like Liquidweb.com VPS/Dedicated/Cloud XenForo Hosting Recommendation

I've took a look at that. I think that $60+ a month is a bit to high for me at the moment. Have you got any suggestions for perhaps 10-20$ ?

I've took a look at that. I think that $60+ a month is a bit to high for me at the moment. Have you got any suggestions for perhaps 10-20$ ?
That's what I am saying, if you are not sure what your monthly stats will be then just go with a shared hosting plan. You may be able to find a VPS for $20/month, in fact linode.com offers those iirc but they are unmanaged and you have to do everything yourself or know what you are doing, or have the time (money!) to learn what you are doing.

Liquidweb offers shared hosting that isn't oversubscribed that fits into your price range. Some what recommended HostGator.com for shared hosting but my personal experience with them was not good. I opened an account, attempted to install Xenforo, ran into errors and time-outs during installation due to poor DB performance, and cancelled the account for a full refund.

Liquidweb isn't the least expensive shared hosting plan, not by a long shot, but they are guaranteed to not oversubscribe their resources, and they have Level 3 U.S. based support staff that you can call 24/7. If you are outside North America then Liquidweb is probably not for you since their datacenter is in Michigan.

Okay thanks allot for all the information.

I have one more question:

I'm currently in the admin demo, and would like to know if it's possible to make a Staff section, thats not visible for anyone else?

Top Bottom