Question about XenForo and a 1GB VPS, how many current visitors. visitors per day, and page views?

Gregory Lynn

I have a question about XenForo and a 1GB VPS, how many current visitors. visitors per day, and page views per day? Can a 1GB VPS handle? The reason why I ask my the traffic on my forum is going up and up every day.

Yesterday around 5am I moved my website from shared hosting back to a 1GB VPS (with Litespeed) with Wiredtree because Hawk Host kept CPU throttling my forum. And yesterday from 5am to 12am today, the forum got double the traffic from the day before. Its been doing this for the last 3 days and I am starting to get concerned.

I know a 1GB VPS can handle a lot, but if my website out grows a 1GB VPS I am going to be screwed because my wife is already complaining about paying $70 a month for a VPS. And she said no way to a $200 dedicated server. Because we are trying to get all of our bills paid off so we can buy a house next year.

So some one with XenForo and a 1GB VPS help me put my mind to rest by telling me how much traffic a 1GB VPS can handle. :p

P.S. I picked up 3 new members yesterday! (y)

1) Are those traffic coming from legitimate sources or real people? Can you quantify the jump and have good reason that they will last?
2) Do you make money out of your website? If you make several hundred a month, the cost of a server is well justified. If not, your wife may have a reason to not spend more on the website.

PS. I host with Rackspace on their cloud server (2GB for the web server, another separate server for database)

:eek:
I am running on a shared hoster with 300members and regular 30-50 online at the same time. top peak is near 100.
and i have no problems with that.
i think a 1gb VPS can handle much much more of this.

1) Are those traffic coming from legitimate sources or real people? Can you quantify the jump and have good reason that they will last?
2) Do you make money out of your website? If you make several hundred a month, the cost of a server is well justified. If not, your wife may have a reason to not spend more on the website.

PS. I host with Rackspace on their cloud server (2GB for the web server, another separate server for database)
Most of the new traffic is coming from search engines, I have written some articles and people are searching them out. And I am not making any money and I don't want to try too. I want to keep my forum add free.

P.S. I don't know if it will last but for now I had to get off shared hosting because they kept throttling the CPU on me.

vps => you can have 8gig but if it isn't configured by an pro, it will be much slower as a 512 mb machine configured by an pro;)

as i wrote 100 times here in this forum =>unmanaged vps are only for people, who know what they're doing!

vps => you can have 8gig but if it isn't configured by an pro, it will be much slower as a 512 mb machine configured by an pro;)

as i wrote 100 times here in this forum.
unmanaged vps are only for people, who know what they're doing!
My VPS is fully managed by Wiredtree, they optimized it before they gave it to me. (y)

P.S. Wiredtree is one of the best VPS providers in the industry, which is why I went with them.

I just figured some one on this forum had to be running a 1GB VPS and cold give me a general idea of what to expect. :(

And I am not making any money and I don't want to try too. I want to keep my forum add free.
Your wife may have a point about cutting on bills. She looks at this $70/month bills just like phone/cable/internet bills you pay.
Hobby is expensive and I hope you outgrow it soon. I went through that phrase a long time ago and fortunately, we don't have to worry about our hosting anymore.

Your wife may have a point about cutting on bills. She looks at this $70/month bills just like phone/cable/internet bills you pay.
Hobby is expensive and I hope you outgrow it soon. I went through that phrase a long time ago and fortunately, we don't have to worry about our hosting anymore.
Its better then blowing $100 a night at the bar or using the money for drugs. There are a lot worse things that I could be spending $70 a month on. ;)

If your forum needs more than a 1GB VPS I think it's safe to say you can start using ads to pay your bills.

IMHO it doesn't need to be always ads...
I saw sooo many people putting all there time into integrating google ads, after 2 weeks they thought they will become rich with this and after 2-5 months, they got the famous google ads mail with subject: "
"Google AdSense ad serving has been disabled to your site"

and they didn't know what to do....

Check if you could "sell" some subscriptions or if there's any other way to make some money;)

In my humble opinion there are a lot of variables besides the memory size available to you which determines how many users a vps can handle.

With regards to ads, I think it depends on what the ads are about. If you have ads hosted on your server that are of keen interest to the people on your forum, they might be well received, as opposed to the more general ads (typically google).

Yeah, not necessarily ads, but overrunning a 1gb VPS means you must have a pretty high userbase (or awful apache/mysql configurations), so user upgrades, viglinks/skimlinks, perhaps adsense. At this point, the wife will see it as a worthwhile investment and you can get that $200 dedicated server!

If you don't need a managed server then give Linode's VPS a try. You can get a VPS with 1.5 GB ram for $59.95 USD

Top Bottom