Question about SEO!

Gregory Lynn

I have been making articles for my forum and while they are getting some visits. They don't seem to have the same kind of ranking power they did when I was using Wordpress/mybb.

How ever the forum is getting decent search engine traffic over all. My search engine traffic is 24% of the forum traffic. I was hoping to write articles and get even more search engine traffic but it dosen't seem to be working.

I know nothing about SEO, what can I do to boost my article ranking? I want to get as much search engine traffic as I can. (y)

Greg

The web is littered with thousands of sites all claiming to offer ways to improve SEO.

There is no magic bullet; if there was everyone would be doing it.

The web is littered with thousands of sites all claiming to offer ways to improve SEO.

There is no magic bullet; if there was everyone would be doing it.
But for a single payment of $12.95 I can sell you a book that'll make you the top of every search word ever thought up!

Greg I think you would be quite constrained in what you can do here because the bulk of the page has already been set by the Xenforo framework/template. Personally I am always going to stick with a CMS + Forum (currently Wordpress + VBulletin) and publish articles in the CMS because I get more control over SEO there and yes, like you, I find they rank better. It is much harder I feel to make a forum post "stand out" compared to a CMS article especially if your site is fairly new.

However, once Google starts crawling you more, and providing you feed it with a continually updated forum, things should improve. My own forum now ranks very well on some specific searches that relate to the thread (rather than more general terms that my main site does better on) but it took some months to get there.

From what I have seen and read, XenForo is already very very good in terms of SEO so you might find it's just a case of doing your general SEO housekeeping better (in the actual article, such as looking at your keywords and content), publishing more, and waiting.

From what I have seen and read, XenForo is already very very good in terms of SEO so you might find it's just a case of doing your general SEO housekeeping better (in the actual article, such as looking at your keywords and content), publishing more, and waiting.
Thanks for the updates guys. :)

P.S. Ingenious I am on disability for the rest of my life I have nothing but time. Also I am afraid that if I start using wordpress now that I am going to really screw things up. I think I am better of waiting and see what happens and try my next XenForo website with Wordpress/XenForo. :p

from exprience, do you know the main thing to get friendly with search engine ?
my answer for you my dear friend, is content, content , content with XF you don't have to worry about codes or seo tips blah blah blah is all about your site content
always put new blogs, threads with new titles and keywords
good luck my friend

I disagree with the notion that xenforo's article ranking power is poor compared to say wordpress, or mybb.

In fact, I disagree about mybb - it attracts nothing but spam to the site. I DID test mybb before.

I bought MVC3Forum and it was a vB3 forum - albeit a small forum. When I made the conversion, the crawling was slow, until I added the site to Yahoo Explorer, and Google. In no time, google started ranking the site higher, but it took time to get new traffic.

So, I marketed them through twitter, and facebook - and not just random types of threads - I marketed each thread I made, each one that my members made, too.

7 months later, 10,000+ uniques later....boom.

Top Bottom