1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about replacing vb site with xF

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Ranger375, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Ranger375

Ranger375 Well-Known Member

So if I want to do a fresh install of xF over my current VB site, how would I upload all the files without getting them mixed up with each other? Can I delete my vb folder contents (beside the 301 redirect files) and then do a db import?

2. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

XenForo is still beta, so it is not recommended to run it as a live site.

Is your vB 3.7/3.8? As of this time that is the only version of vB the importer will work on.

The approach I would take, if I read your question correctly:

From CPanel create a new DB for XenForo
    Back-up my vB site, including the DB
    Rename my vB's folder
    Create a new folder with the old name of the directory I just renamed
    Upload the XenForo files into the new directory. Add in the 301 redirect files.
    Access your site from your browser (to begin the installation).
    From XenForo AdminCP: Tools -> Import External Data, to begin the importing of your 3.7/3.8 DB.

This way if anything went wrong with the Importing, just rename the XF directory to something different, and rename your vB directory back to the original name. :)

3. Ranger375

Ranger375 Well-Known Member

Thanks, you answered my questions. I haven't made xf live yet other than a test forum; just getting my questions answered so I'm ready for when that time comes :D