Question about feature

andrew3d

In PHPBB3 there is a feature called forum image, below is the place in PHPBB3 where this is placed.
Forum image:
Location, relative to the phpBB root directory, of an additional image to associate with this forum.

I do not see it used often even by PHPBB3 boards, but I use it and I like it.

Is it possible to associate an image with each XF node if desired?

In PHPBB3 there is a feature called forum image, below is the place in PHPBB3 where this is placed.
Forum image:

I do not see it used often even by PHPBB3 boards, but I use it and I like it.

Is it possible to associate an image with each XF node if desired?

XenForo can be customized to do this, yes. :)

It's actually not hard at all and requires only a few lines of css code added to extra.css

I also believe there is an add-on for this (for those who don't want to edit anything).

I thought you could just edit the style properties? Or am I thinking of something different?

You're thinking of something different.

For each forum to have its own individual image, you need to either use an add-on or customize some css code.

What you're thinking about the the node sprites... Which would allow you to change the current form images to something else, but it would be globally (like how it is here on XenForo).

As I understood the OP, they wanted something that allowed a little more personal touch to each forum.

You're thinking of something different.

For each forum to have its own individual image, you need to either use an add-on or customize some css code.

What you're thinking about the the node sprites... Which would allow you do change the current form images to something else, but it would be globally (like how it is here on XenForo).

As I understood the OP, they wanted something that allowed a little more personal touch to each forum.

Yup, thanks for that :)

Be sure to read the support discussion completely on that one. If I remember correctly, if you use it and then decide to remove it, it doesn't reset your node icons. Takes a little longer, but the EXTRA.css is easier - and you can have it so that you don't have to have one for read and one for unread by simply using the opacity CSS setting.

Be sure to read the support discussion completely on that one. If I remember correctly, if you use it and then decide to remove it, it doesn't reset your node icons. Takes a little longer, but the EXTRA.css is easier - and you can have it so that you don't have to have one for read and one for unread by simply using the opacity CSS setting.
I haven't got the time to actually set up my forum with all sorts of icons yet, but I'll keep that in mind. Worse case scenario I write my own addon, so it's no biggie. :P

Thanks to everyone for their inputs. If anyone wants to see how I am using the images per forum on phpBB3, just go to my site. www.barkerhill.com

It is on the first page that loads so you can see it without registering..
If anyone here can believe it, I've run phpBB2 and phpBB3 since 2002.

I am going to buy XENFORO. I really like it. Maybe I can even make contributions as a volunteer?
I know a lot has changed so I am aware of how obsolete I may be as a programmer these days, but it will still be fun to try some new things.

And besides liking XENFORO, a 2nd big plus is that there is a spirit of helpfulness and lighthearted rapport between
folks here. (y)

Thanks again,

Andrew.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs. If anyone wants to see how I am using the images per forum on phpBB3, just go to my site. www.barkerhill.com

I am going to buy XENFORO. I really like it. Maybe I can even make contributions as a volunteer?
I know a lot has changed so I am aware of how obsolete I may be as a programmer these days, but it will still be fun to try some new things.

And besides liking XENFORO, a 2nd big plus is that there is a spirit of helpfulness and lighthearted rapport between
folks here. (y)

Thanks again,

Andrew.
I use to help debug and code for phpBB and our community started out with them. So I know where you're coming from and believe me, you'll love XenForo, its so much easier to use in many ways :)

I think most admins have used phpBB3 at some point. I did as well, and I hated the UI. I refuse to sign up to a forum that uses phpBB.

Since it's the only software programs I've been on -- either as a member or staff member -- I prefer forums with phpBB, vBulletin or XenForo. However, if a forum doesn't run any of those, I'll still join if I'm interested in its content.

I join because of what interests me on a forum, not the software they run it on.

folks here. (y)

Thanks again,

Andrew.
Just my 2 cents when you would migrate to XF:
1. Make all the pictures equal in size.
2. Make is smaller, around the original size of the icons next to nodes.
3. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and advice.
I am now owner of a xenforo license.
toyou.gif

Top Bottom