Lack of interest QR Code for thread and user profile

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I don't think this is really a bigger feature, also it is VERY simple to create...

Here is an example of this URL

chart

Or of your username

chart

Or even to your profile page

chart

You never used QR before? It is pretty popular and already used into a lot of places. If I go to a site, I see the QR and scan it with my phone. It will instantly add the info to my bookmarks, user data into Contacts/Facebook etc. The possibilities are endless. In fact, I'm working on something like that for a client.

Here it is a picture I took from a Montreal bus few days ago, with my phone. Google Goggles brings me to the site and also stores the data as reference. Or even better, a cool QR implementation.

I don't think this is really a bigger feature, also it is VERY simple to create...
Is not as simple as you think, if you want to do a proper forum implementation. QR is not "just" for opening a plain ole link.

Just thinking out loud ...

QR codes represent a way to get a specific link (often to somewhere on the internet) from a non-digital source (ie. paper).

I wouldn't post a
chart

to link to my site ... because I could post

THIS.

or

So what would the QR Code be doing ?

From a quick glance at the api page it actually looks like it would be VERY easy to implement as a bbcode...good call.

Just thinking out loud ...

So what would the QR Code be doing ?
Well anything you want really.....you could print up and hand out flyers with a qr code on it that links back to your site for example...or whatever else you can imagine.

To me though QR does nothing except when your on the go and there is something you want to check out and a code is available you scan and get more info....I mean I don't know too much about them to be honest and they have no value for me personally. If there is a practical use for them I see nothing wrong with them though.

That is just 1% you can do with QR. I'm not talking about a simple URL implementation, everyone can do that. Not to mention that using Google API for that is a little passe.

To me though QR does nothing except when your on the go and there is something you want to check out and a code is available you scan and get more info....I mean I don't know too much about them to be honest and they have no value for me personally. If there is a practical use for them I see nothing wrong with them though.
To me, QR is the ability to add to my bookmarks instantly a specific thread that I can read later on any computer/mobile device I use, while I start a conversation with that member, add his email to my contacts and probably tweet about it because I feel like or just follow him. Yes, you can do all this with ONE single QR image, instantly.

Where would the QR images be displayed?

Presumably if there are to be QR images for members, threads, and other content then they need to be prominent and visible?

Having a website provide QR codes is like having a website provide bookmarks. It's something the browser or a browser addon should do.

Where would the QR images be displayed?

Presumably if there are to be QR images for members, threads, and other content then they need to be prominent and visible?
Personally, I would use one into thread at the as button, next to Go to First Unread and another into member Profile page. Into thread, it will be a button that when you press it it exposes the QR code. Into profile, you can have it exposed directly, below your image.

Having a website provide QR codes is like having a website provide bookmarks. It's something the browser or a browser addon should do.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/qr-code-for-thread-and-user-profile.20542/#post-263141

Only place where i would use this, is for users homepage field:D and for users profile.

Everything else would be IMO strange.

(BUT i like this idea.
We're having a very cool "site promotion" tool => free business cards for premium members and i think it's a nice idea to have the QR on the business card:D )

Top Bottom