Put small space between end-of-post and signature separator

CTXMedia

May have already been suggested, but at the moment the default style's signature separator sits directly underneath the end text of a post - so close, in fact, that it's easy to mistake a signature for a continuation of the post body text.

My suggestion is simply to add a small amount of space - maybe 8px? - between the post content and the signature separator.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Upvote 5
Yeah, I realise it can be done after-the-fact - but my suggestion was more aimed at doing it to the default out-of-the-box xF install package, however on re-reading my post I didn't make that clear, did I?

Cheers,

I agree, GeeksKicksAss. I don't mind working like a dog if it's just a quirk of my own, but those kind of tweaks need to be standard. Plus with CSS, you move one pixel and there's a domino effect - something somewhere else is thrown out of whack and most of the time I don't know how to fix it.

What pleases one person won't necessarily please another though.

If the margin had been increased by default I suspect there would have been a suggestion to reduce the space between the post content and the signature.

The same argument could be made about any of the individual style elements.

Oh come on now. It's not that big of a deal for Kier or Mike to add a space between the end of a post and the sig separator. I have never, in my years of running forums, seen a request to decrease the space between post content and sig. I have however seen countless requests for both more space, and for the signature to be moved to the bottom.

And it is not a matter of what pleases one won't necessarily please another. I highly doubt that anyone will be unhappy about a space above the signature separator.

I highly doubt that anyone will be unhappy about a space above the signature separator.
I would.
There's one.

It's really a moot point.
If you don't like some of the design elements, change them in the Style Properties, that's what it's for.
I don't like the 20px padding around the content but rather than making a request to reduce it, I just changed it to 10px to suit my own needs.

What possible reason would you have?
I don't like wasted vertical space.
For the same reason I will be moving the "Post New Thread" button back to the breadcrumb row to recover the space which has been introduced by moving it below the forum title.

I don't like wasted vertical space either. Never have. But I also don't like my sig kissing the underside of my post.

However, using your own argument, you could remove it. :D

I don't like to waste vertical space either, but you've got to choose your battles - so to speak. And saving five pixels by running the sig up against the text is like saving money on gas by driving an extra ten miles to the cheaper station: pointless.

Save the space on those things that nobody actually cares about except for the stylers, like the buttons - don't save it in the post area.

May have already been suggested, but at the moment the default style's signature separator sits directly underneath the end text of a post - so close, in fact, that it's easy to mistake a signature for a continuation of the post body text.

My suggestion is simply to add a small amount of space - maybe 8px? - between the post content and the signature separator.

Cheers,

Nothing major, but I agree. Another reason why the sig sometimes can look as a part of one's post, is the fact that the colour of the sig divider-line is so light (like now on my iPhone for example: it is in fact almost invisible there...).

hmmm I can see it fine on my iPhone. That's what I'm using now to type this.

There seriously needs to be a space between the underside of the post content and the separator.

I personally think the spacing is fine. this kind of thing is preference driven and you will never please everyone with this request. It's the kind of thing you want more space, add the margin-top: if not leave it as it is.

what is it now? 5px?

hmmm I can see it fine on my iPhone. That's what I'm using now to type this.

I have a 3GS and when you zoom into a thread/posting (meaning : double-tapping on a posting, so that you only see the postings-contents of a thread without the avatars), the sig line is almost invisible. Granted, I would love to use a dedicated mobile style compared to the current desktop-style and then 'the problem' on mobiles devices will be gone. Because I expect XenForo will be so wise not to include signatures at all in the mobile style...

And I agree with you Peggy that there needs to be a bit more spacing. When one uses a smaller font for the signature there is not much of a problem (and I do believe Xenforo already -wisely- displays the signature in a smaller font size compared to the text, so by default there is not much a problem for me on my normal desktop view when you can make out the difference and colour of the div line better), but when people are using the same font characteristics for the sig as their postings, it is indeed harder to distinguish the sig from the posting content indeed. Therefor it makes for a little bit less easy reading and in my opinion XF is albout easy of reading the content.

Actually, I've changed my mind. I think an 8px margin-top looks better. Normally, I wouldn't request such a request because i could make such alterations but whilst on xenforo were I spend a lot of time readability is a little better when distinguishing content from signature data.

I'm liking the suggestion.

I have a 3GS and when you zoom into a thread/posting (meaning : double-tapping on a posting, so that you only see the postings-contents of a thread without the avatars), the sig line is invisible. Granted, I would love to use a dedicated mobile style compared to the current desktop-style and then 'the problem' on mobiles devices will be gone. Because I expect XenForo will be so wise not to include signatures at all in the mobile style...

Yep that's what I have, a 3Gs. And my eyes are going bad as well, but I still see it.

Very odd Grover!

Top Bottom