Implemented PUSH notifications for XenForo

Alpha1

The responsive design already makes XenForo great on mobile devices. We almost do not need an app. But one thing is missing: Instant PUSH notifications.

If XenForo would have PUSH notifications then users could be notified of new alerts , events on their mobile device, in their browser, etc. This keeps users up to date and pulls off site users back onto the website.

Possibly with the addition of mini-apps.

Last edited:
Upvote 177
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Pretty sure that theirs requires to be loaded in a browser tab/window - but it doesn't have to be the active one.

No with the new Web Push API this is not required anymore. Have a look at this description for Firefox:
As long as your browser is running, it can receive notifications from websites, even without having that site open.

You can test it out here: https://serviceworke.rs/push-simple_demo.html (Allow pushes, click the button and close the tab)

Last edited:
Prerry was talking about implementation from IPS. They would need to update their system to support offline notifications. And it might not be possible for all forum operators to support it because offline support seems to require something like an open connection for every user who has turned on the feature to deliver him the updates from the documentation I have read. This might not work well on low cost hosting.

Chrome and Chromium based browsers (Vivaldi, Opera) have supported it for more than a few weeks now. Edge is also likely to add support in future. God knows if Apple would follow.

This page shows the status in major browsers:

Is ServiceWorker ready?

Chrome and Chromium based browsers (Vivaldi, Opera) have supported it for more than a few weeks now. Edge is also likely to add support in future. God knows if Apple would follow.
Good deal.. but my comment stands about the IE of the modern age. :ROFLMAO:
I can see where this would probably cause issues on smaller sites (on shared hosting) depending on how it keeps/connects to the site. It was an interesting distraction in IPS, but honestly none of the sites that I participate in are important enough that I need instant notifications of stuff that the alert systems on those sites can take care of. I'm not into instant gratification like that.

Here is also an overview of where this is supported: http://caniuse.com/#feat=push-api

BTW at least in Firefox it is not that you have to keep connections to every user you want to deliver notifications to. Instead you keep one connection to a Mozilla server and deliver notifications to this, which redirects them to all users. The notifications are also encrypted AFAIK. (at least the payload)

After switching over to Safari as my primary browser recently, I've found it massively annoying that many sites I visit ask for notification permission. The implementation of it is like a popup, and 99% of the sites I visit that do this get rejected, and when I do turn it on, it doesn't work.

This is in contrast to an app where someone is expecting to be asked for alerts permission. The closest thing to this request is the apps we made as it uses the responsive style.

Last edited:
Depends on whether I was paying for development or just buying something.

But really this should be in core. I'll be disappointed if XF 2.0 doesn't have it.

It cant really be put into core due to the way it works.

You need GCM (google cloud messaging) and you need an apple developer account(whatever that is per year just for Safari).

WebKIT (as in any browser on IOS) cannot do it because it doesn't know what a service worker is. Might be 1-5 years before its valid.

It cant really be put into core due to the way it works.

You need GCM (google cloud messaging) and you need an apple developer account(whatever that is per year just for Safari).

WebKIT (as in any browser on IOS) cannot do it because it doesn't know what a service worker is. Might be 1-5 years before its valid.

I didn't know that about webkit. Shame.

Top Bottom