Purchasing a second License and Importing.

Magic

Hi all,

Im thinking of purchasing a second xenforo license to use on a second "vbulletin" site I own.

Over the years, it has become very bloated with remnants of older addons, and un-needed files. So ideally, id like to have a fresh installation of xenforo, but Still be able to Import my exisiting posts and users across.

Could someone advise the best course of action I could do to acheive this.

First of all, you can only import from vBulletin into XenForo the data that can be used by default in XenForo.

Meaning, if you have a Medals, add-on, for example, this can't be imported into XenForo because the core XenForo doesn't have medals. (There is a XenForo add-on for Medals that includes an importer from vBulletin, however).

Secondly, you can pick and choose what you do and don't import from vBulletin. e.g. you can import all threads and posts but not private messages, for example.

So yeah, you should be able to do this quite easily.

I guess what Im referring to, is Id want to get rid of all "Vbulletin" related content, (files and folders). so I just have a fresh xenforo. My current install is in the root, and thats where id like xenforo to reside.

Is it as simple as Installing xenforo into its Own Folder, running the Importer, then deleting all other folders and files?

Simply install XenForo into a sub-directory, run the importer and then delete the vBulletin files and move your XenForo install to root.

Make sure to update the Board URL under Options -> Basic Board Information when you do so.

Hi all,

Im thinking of purchasing a second xenforo license to use on a second "vbulletin" site I own.

Over the years, it has become very bloated with remnants of older addons, and un-needed files. So ideally, id like to have a fresh installation of xenforo, but Still be able to Import my exisiting posts and users across.

Could someone advise the best course of action I could do to acheive this.

Yeah, this is entirely possible. And is pretty much what I did.

Create a new folder for your vBulletin, copy EVERYTHING in the web root to it (so the only thing in the web root is the folder with vB in it), and then upload xenForo.

Once that's done, continue with the import. Once your sure it's all gone fine, delete the vB folder.

Liam

Woot, Purchased my second xenforo license, Installed, and imported, and all went well ;)

Steps Left to do now,

• Delete All vbulletin files and folder
  • Move xenforo files and folders into root
  • Adjust The Url In Board information
  • Add redirect codes including the rewrite for previous vbseo
And we should be good to go ;)

Thanks again all ;)

Im happy to say that all is looking good sofar :)

url redirects from my "old" vbulletin site with vbseo seem to be directing ok, now I just need to find how to redirect the Actual forum links that are scattered around google via .htaccess, other than that, i think im good :)

See my results sofar here

Top Bottom