XF 1.2 Pruning database size and retaining forum statistics.

Spawne32

Over the course of several years since 2008, we have obtained roughly 300,000+ threads and almost 12 million individual posts. This adds up to a database that is about 17gb in size on our server. We need to reduce this size a bit, the only thing I can think of is to prune some older posts, however I assume that that will drop the forum statistics as well. Anyway to retain this count but reduce the database size?

If you delete posts and threads but retain the current statistics, surely that's inaccurate and misleading?

Why do you want to reduce the database size?

Over the course of several years since 2008, we have obtained roughly 300,000+ threads and almost 12 million individual posts. This adds up to a database that is about 17gb in size on our server. We need to reduce this size a bit, the only thing I can think of is to prune some older posts, however I assume that that will drop the forum statistics as well. Anyway to retain this count but reduce the database size?

Only code edits. The cron job takes the counts from the database, so you would have to edit the code to add some values on.

However, if I found a forum doing that I would avoid it! Deleted posts shouldn't go towards totals.

You're best to keep the threads & posts - they may be linked in search engines, and contain good content.

Liam

If you have ES I think you can do some work on the DB and do away with a search index????

We regularly prune old posts in particular areas - examples include the classifieds and certain off-topic areas, as well as price reports for certain fuels, etc.

We don't do the to save space. We do it because there is no reason to waste the time of our users if they search our forums and end up on useless threads!

I don't see any advantage of the forum size (marketing wise) once it gets over a certain number of posts. That is, if you have 8 million, 5 million or 10 million posts should not matter to anyone. So if there are useless posts, delete them!

Fitting that on a VPS sounds like trouble!

Aren't you able to make enough income from the forum to have a dedicated server?

At present no, we are on a R310 right now and its costing about 230 a month, and the site isnt making any money at all. It's kind of going through a rough period right now that we are trying to correct by using xenforo.

Wow, don't know your site but with that kinds of post quantity and other matter you should be able to make thousands a month. Moving to a VPS may seal your fate in that performance will decrease and users will leave.

I'd be glad to provide any advice you'd be looking for in monetizing - been doing it since 1995. PM me if you like.

I'd say think big rather than small....

Top Bottom