• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Provide a virtual Keyboard for your forum users for multi-lingual text input

simunaqv

Description

This add-on integrates the Javascript Virtual Keyboard into the TinyMCE wysiwyg editor which is useful for users who would like to input text in different languages e.g. Arabic, Hebrew, Urdu, Chinese etc.

vkb2.gif

Compatibility : This add-on requires at least Xenforo version 1.0 Beta 4 since it makes use of the template hooks.

Javascript Virtual Keyboard

The Virtual Keyboard is a javascript component that makes it possible to use a number of input methods and different keyboard layouts without the need of installing extra operating system level modules. With the help of the Javascript Virtual Keyboard the users are not only able to directly input text in different languages, but they can also inout text by clicking on the graphical on-screen keyboard using their mouse. The Javascript Virtual Keyboard is customizable in many ways and it remembers your last choice of the keyboard layout. More details about the Javascript Virtual Keyboard can be found on this link and a demo can be seen here. Please note that the virtual keyboard only helps you to input text using any of the available input methods and does not style the text in any way. You may have to adjust your forum's style for typography to properly display the text for different languages.

Integration with TinyMCE

The Javascript Virtual Keyboard also comes as a plugin for the TinyMCE wysiwyg editor. The add-on provided here installs the Javascript Keyboard Plugin for the TinyMCE editor used in xenforo. This also add an extra button to the editor toolbar as shown in the following figure. The Virtual Keyboard is invoked by clicking on this button as shown in the following figure.

vkb1.gif

I have made some minor tweeks to this plugin to make it work the work the way I want it to.

Selecting input methods

The users can choose any inout method or keyboard layout using the drop down listboxes shown in the following figure.

vkb3.gif
vkb4.gif

Limiting the number of input methods

The list of the input methods provided in the drop down listbox is quite long. This can be limited to show only the input methods of choice by going into Options -> Virtual Keyboard Layouts in the admin section and selecting only the input methods that are relevant for your forum.

vkb_options1.png

Using different skins

It is possible to set different skin for the Javascript Virtual Keyboard by setting the option in Options -> Virtual Keyboard Skins inside the admin section as shown in the following figure.

vkb_options2.png

Since the size of the packaged add-on is exceeding the maximum allowed limit, I am uploading it to an external location. If somebody can provide a better solution, I will be grateful.

Attachments

Does this translate the text to say English or something? If not... I don't understand its use outside of say a touch screen device.

It looks very nice
i would use this as soon as I get a chance
is it possible to provide a demo

Does this translate the text to say English or something? If not... I don't understand its use outside of say a touch screen device.

It does not translate anything. This add-on makes it possible to write text in languages such as arabic, hebrew etc. without the need for installing additional keyboards on your operating system. The use of the on-screen keyboard is optional. Otherwise you can type using the keyboard.

Very nice. I don't find the need to use this mod. But I like to know under which situation, this keyboard is needed.

It is useful for non-english forums especially for forums where languages such as arabic, hebrew etc are used.
My sites are in Chinese. I always browse Chinese web sites, never has a site has virtual keyboare. Windows, Mac and Linux can map the Eng. keyboard to Chinese strokes. I curious when will this virtual keyboard is need to input contents?

Not work with maxhon in advanced mode, but ok in retro mode.
For Chinese pinyin, the keyboard has not pinyin characters. For Chinese Chanjie, its buggy. It canot input the 'door'(門).

I am sorry I find no reason to install this mod.

Not work with maxhon in advanced mode, but ok in retro mode.
For Chinese pinyin, the keyboard has not pinyin characters. For Chinese Chanjie, its buggy. It canot input the 'door'(門).

I am sorry I find no reason to install this mod.

You are free to choose whether or not to use the add-on.
The demo does include Chinese Pinyin input method as shown here. You can make you own keyboard layout and include it with this virtual keyboard with the method described here.

Am I missing something, but I do not have a keyboard icon appearing after the install of this mod... :confused:
BTW: Beta 5

Top Bottom