Proud-Parent.com - My Kids Rock!

JBS

Here it is...

http://www.proud-parent.com

Proud Parent is just a community for parents.

I posted it a while back in the "show us your forum" thread...but this is better. We are just getting the forum started right now (last couple of days). Please let me know what you think.

Love the overall elegance of the site, very well put together. Seeing your black background on your logo here I expected to land on a gothic teenagers' parent forum. :-) But I don't think that's what your site is about. :-) I love the darker wall paper background on the bottom but overall find there to be too much black for a parenting website. Maybe if the header is lighter in contrast it wouldn't be so overwhelming?

Take it with a grain of salt, maybe other parents might feel fine with it.

Good luck!

Love the overall elegance of the site, very well put together. Seeing your black background on your logo here I expected to land on a gothic teenagers' parent forum. :) But I don't think that's what your site is about. :) I love the darker wall paper background on the bottom but overall find there to be too much black for a parenting website. Maybe if the header is lighter in contrast it wouldn't be so overwhelming?

Take it with a grain of salt, maybe other parents might feel fine with it.

Good luck!

Thank you. I've been wondering about that. I was originally going to create two themes..."dark" and "light"...and I got too busy. I'll get to work on a "light" theme.

I do have a couple of "light" versions of the logo:

proud-parent-80px.webpproud-parent-fan.webp

Once again...thank you for your post.

Agreed the black is a bit "too dark".

I don't really like the tagline "My Kids Rock!". I guess I don't like braggers, and wouldn't do it myself ever. Even though my little five year old scored two goals in hockey this weekend :) Maybe it's just me.

I love the selections for the slider at the top ... great topics. That being said, some were hard to read because the white text blended in with the white in the background. The flu shot one stood out really well.

Are you going to get a Facebook account for your site ? Not sure if it would be good or bad. Thoughts ?

Agreed the black is a bit "too dark".

I don't really like the tagline "My Kids Rock!". I guess I don't like braggers, and wouldn't do it myself ever. Even though my little five year old scored two goals in hockey this weekend :) Maybe it's just me.

I love the selections for the slider at the top ... great topics. That being said, some were hard to read because the white text blended in with the white in the background. The flu shot one stood out really well.

Are you going to get a Facebook account for your site ? Not sure if it would be good or bad. Thoughts ?

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to get the lighter theme finished over Thanksgiving.

The whole bragging thing is very annoying...however...that's why I started this site. It's just a site for parents to talk (basically a general forum for parents) and it allows them to brag...which many sites do not like. With my other forum (a gymnastics site)...I have learned that many parents really love to brag...I just figured I would give them a place to do that. I hope the site does not just turn into a giant brag fest...hopefully it will turn into great talk between parents (and others like Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, etc.). I do have a specific forum for all the brags on the site...so as long as they (brag threads) are all contained in that section of the site it shouldn't be too bad.

I'll see if I can modify the slider and make the text easier to read.

Here is my Facebook page....https://www.facebook.com/proudparents. I had it on there...but it was making the site load really slow...so I removed it. I am having a really hard time converting anyone from Facebook into a member though...any tips?

Can I ask how you did that slider with text and pics on top of the forums? Is this an add-on of some sorts or totally custom made?

Can I ask how you did that slider with text and pics on top of the forums? Is this an add-on of some sorts or totally custom made?

It's all a part of Jaxel's XenPorta mod...here it is:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/8wayrun-com-xenporta-portal.7586/

I cannot speak highly enough about this mod and Jaxel...every question in any of Jaxel's threads is answered very quickly. Since I didn't know how to speak highly enough...I donated...here it is...

jaxel.webp

Jaxel's mod will easily earn the $50 back in the future. Keep up the great work Jaxel!

I was wondering what was going on...thanks. I just noticed that xF1.1 is out also. Looks like I have lots of upgrading to do over Thanksgiving!
Yep I sort of gathered you were holding out for 1.1 - then put the two things together when I saw the "bouncer" ;)
Nice site btw :D

Maybe if the header is lighter in contrast it wouldn't be so overwhelming?

Alright...I added a "lighter" header. The homepage header is only for the homepage...it shrinks for the rest of the site. I'm hoping the homepage header will help describe the site a bit better.

Here it is...what does everyone think?

proud-parent-new.webp

Overall...I'm trying to stay away from "parenting colors" such as pink, green, yellow, blue...I don't want it to look like all of these type sites. I would like to gain both Mom's and Dad's to the site as I am a Dad. The typical parenting colors only seem to attract Moms.

EDIT: The whole site is now upgraded too...xF 1.1...xenPorta 1.5...Flexile 1.1.

Super nice job I like the lighter header now too. I liked how you created a tab for the style chooser good idea. (heads up when you click on the style tab it pops up the styles but some reason highlights the "help" as if you were viewing the help tab contents, but help can still be clicked on)

Top Bottom