Promote thread question

Volly

In the paticular forum I know of they have a method to let people vote on ideas. Each user gets a certain number of votes a day (I think 5 in a 24 hour period). A thread starts out with a base score of zero and each positive vote gives the thread a +10 on the score. A negative vote removes 10. A user can only vote on a idea once. With this functionality the owners of the board or people who watch the board can see what ideas the community really wants and what may seem like a good idea the community doesn't want.
Clicking a "like" at the comment level is not so good. It doesn't give a count on how many people like the overall idea from a glance. People will tend to vote on the comment in the thread that interest them. You then miss out if they like the overall idea or not.

My question is this: Is there an addon or is there functionality out of the box that lets xenForo do this? Thanks in advance

-Volly

I'm not aware of an add-on that does this, and the closest XF has (as you noted) is the likes system. We do actually track, specifically, the number of first post likes on the thread record, which does allow us to use this as a metric when deciding on which are the most popular feature suggestions.

You can, for example, order a forum (either manually or by default) by the number of first message likes each thread has:

https://xenforo.com/community/forums/xenforo-suggestions.18/?order=first_post_likes&direction=desc

I appreciate it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's the closest we have.

oh, with what you posted, the problem is you can't vote downward and change the count. That is important in a system like this. For example many people may like an idea but just as many hate it thus it should not be done. In cases like that the score remains low.

Top Bottom