Prohibit ignored users from viewing profile

TPerry

There was a discussion in another area about whether ignored users can view the ignoree's profile (answer is yes they can). It would be nice to be able to have the ability so that if an ignored user attempts to view the ignoree's profile they get a message that the person limits the viewing of their profile (even if they don't in other cases).

Upvote 11
thanks! don't forget the inverse. a one-click unlock function to allow a certain person to view profile and contact you or whatever.

I imagine the feature at current is to prevent the user from finding out that you ignored them.

I think it's the other way around James - if someone is ignoring you - then stop them being able to view your profile page! ;)

In other words, if they don't want to see your threads and posts - deny them your profile posts and info too! (y)

The person doing the ignoring would get the 'access denied' notification, not the ignoree.

I think it's the other way around James - if someone is ignoring you - then stop them being able to view your profile page! ;)

In other words, if they don't want to see your threads and posts - deny them your profile posts and info too! (y)

The person doing the ignoring would get the 'access denied' notification, not the ignoree.

Actually what I am referring to is say I ignore you. You can still view my profile, etc. What is being requested is that if I ignore you that you can no longer view my profile (since I am ignoring you) and that you would get a simple message that I don't share my profile with users (like you get now if you have it for People You Follow Only).
Although, what you mention wouldn't be a bad idea also.:p

"Ignoring" and "Blocking" are not the same thing. Ignore is a passive-evasive function, whereas Block (which is what you imply you actually want) is a visible countermeasure.

If you "blocked" or "ignored" someone from viewing your profile, they could just log out and then view your profile as a guest, assuming you had your profile visible to guests.

This doesn't necessarily sound like something worthy of being a core feature, but could be implemented as an add-on.

"Ignoring" and "Blocking" are not the same thing. Ignore is a passive-evasive function, whereas Block (which is what you imply you actually want) is a visible countermeasure.

Agreed. Just because you've ignored someone should not cause the software to block the ignored individual from viewing anything.

If you "blocked" or "ignored" someone from viewing your profile, they could just log out and then view your profile as a guest, assuming you had your profile visible to guests.

This doesn't necessarily sound like something worthy of being a core feature, but could be implemented as an add-on.

However, I am pretty sure the ignored person can still comment on the user's profile? At least this would limit those comments from that username.

Ahem... have you ever viewed someones profile that only allows those that follow to view? Doesn't matter if you are a guest or not, it won't show it to you. My point being, you get the same message - ergo you are not specifically told that you are ignored/blocked. Will it stop another forum owner from knowing how to get around it - no, but it will work against most normal users.

You're missing the point, though. Ignore implies a different function than block. If you don't want the cretin viewing your profile, change the user settings. It's that simple. Although if you have the individual on ignore, and are following them as well...........

You're missing the point, though. Ignore implies a different function than block. If you don't want the cretin viewing your profile, change the user settings. It's that simple. Although if you have the individual on ignore, and are following them as well...........

But by changing the settings to only allow following, you then prohibit anyone that you do not specifically follow from viewing your profile - which is not what is usually desired. Agreed it would be better classified as "blocking" but we are getting into the area of semantics. Point being, if you are ignoring someone, they should be totally ignored and unable to access your profile. I haven't fully checked it, but I'm reasonably certain since an ignored user can view your profile currently, they can further post on it (no matter whether you can see it or not if they are ignored - anyone else viewing your profile can probably see it). Haven't had time to fully check it out since I've been redoing the style on one of the forums.
That is why this is in the small tweaks area. It's only a starting point for discussion.

We have three settings...
Profile Viewable By: Everyone <- Members Only <- People You Follow Only

If you Ignore someone, they have no indication that you're blocking them or taking some steps to reduce the level of interaction you have with them. They can still view your messages, content and profile, but if they make post any messages, you won't see those messages, and if they try to send you any conversation messages, you won't be able to see them appear. What's the problem? The feature is doing its job, and it avoids any awkward or difficult situations.

On the other hand, if you have your profile privacy set to "Everyone" or "Members", and you then put a block on that user, they'd get some sort of generic permission error or "this profile is unavailable" message. You have thrown that user a noticeable interruption or obstacle that may mean...
  1. They know that they're having a negative reaction, and...
  2. They may seek other ways to bother you.
A blocking feature would probably be better-served as an add-on, but I don't see exactly how beneficial it would be.

We have three settings...
Profile Viewable By: Everyone <- Members Only <- People You Follow Only

If you Ignore someone, they have no indication that you're blocking them or taking some steps to reduce the level of interaction you have with them. They can still view your messages, content and profile, but if they make post any messages, you won't see those messages, and if they try to send you any conversation messages, you won't be able to see them appear. What's the problem? The feature is doing its job, and it avoids any awkward or difficult situations.

The problem being that very fact. You have me blocked. I go to your profile and post all kinds of crap calling your mama a blankety blank, your wife a this, your kids a that. You never see it. But depending on how/where it's posted there others will.

Something like this can be easily done with a small addon:

If you extend XF\Entity\UserPrivacy with a class like this:

PHP:
<?php

namespace Vendor\AddonId\XF\Entity;

class UserPrivacy extends XFCP_UserPrivacy
{
    public function isPrivacyCheckMet($privacyKey, \XF\Entity\User $user)
    {
        if ($this->user_id == $user->user_id || $user->canBypassUserPrivacy())
        {
            return true;
        }

if ($this->User->isIgnoring($user))
        {
            return false;
        }

return parent::isPrivacyCheckMet($privacyKey, $user);
    }
}

=> result would be that an ignored user cannot view a user's profile nor start a new conversation. Tough they won't get an error saying that they are ignored, but just a message that they are not allowed to perform this action.

Top Bottom