Programmer's Income?

There's quite a lot of variables involved in that...

The amount of time you have available, the kind of projects you get, the clientèle, etc.

Also depends largely on your expertise and languages used. I know you said average but there is a massive difference between an average sql programmer for example and an average java programmer. Or even a VB programmer to a C++ programmer.

I average about £100 to £250 doing part time freelancing, and I work with a lot of americans. Bout 20 to 30 hours a week that thelp?

whatever, you guys know.. just shoot here..
It doesnt matter, solo or work for a company or freelancer work..

And I wanna know about SQL programmer and JAVA Programmer...

A good programmer will always have a lot of money in his bank account.

I'd like to know all that programmers like Kier know
frown.png

A full time PHP and SQL programmer gets an average $55,800 here a year. That figure is based on 3.5-5 years experience. There are firms that pay upwards of $110,000 but the languages and experience needed has lots of heft.

One thing is for sure, its not stable employment. You might be at a point where you are making a comfortable living one day, and wake up to find your job is now in India the next. It isn't because you're unskilled, its because you cost more than a programmer in India and the University of New Dheli graduates a million comp-sci majors every year.

If you want stability, if you want to earn what you feel you are truly worth, then consider Kier's lesson. From this point on, he doesn't earn a programmer's salary because of technical skill. Instead, he used his skill to develop a product that people want. As long as you work for someone else, you'll always be paid what they think you are worth. You're only as valuable as you are unique and productive.

Never forget, to the CFO, you are an expense, not an asset.
When my own daughter began college two years ago, she wanted to be an engineer, like deal old dad. I had a long, heart to heart conversation with her, giving her the benefit of my years of experience. First is do what you love. For her, its music. Second, put yourself in the best position to be the boss someday, and sooner rather than later.
Her major is business, specializing in digitial media, and minoring in music. She managed to find a way to combine all three. I will continue to pay until she earns her MBA. Then she'll be able to do anything she wants. Thats also why, although it is a sacrifice for me and her mother as we both work two jobs, we are putting both kids though college without any student loans. When they complete, they will be completely debt free in a time where there is too much debt in the world.
Find your passion. Find a way to combine it with other interests into a unique offering. Then find a way to build your own business around it.

One thing is for sure, its not stable employment. You might be at a point where you are making a comfortable living one day, and wake up to find your job is now in India the next. It isn't because you're unskilled, its because ................................ where there is too much debt in the world.
Find your passion. Find a way to combine it with other interests into a unique offering. Then find a way to build your own business around it.
WOW!!!! lucky Kids :)

It really depends on what kind of programming you want to do. Like Fred Sherman said, you need to find your passion.

For example, I majored in CS but I knew from the beginning that I didn't want to program for a living. I enjoy programming more as a personal hobby (my website). But I have been able to use my CS knowledge to help me in my desired role as a support person. I enjoy helping other people with their websites because it reflects my own hobby.

So what kind of programming do you want to do?

WOW!!!! lucky Kids :)

I guess I'm a bit different than most in my generation, having been raised in large part by my grandparents. They taught me that each generation has to sacrifice for the benefit of the next. Its not easy. I could be like others in my generation and indulge myself and expect my kids to get through school on grants, loans and working. There's nothing wrong with that, I suppose. My choice is to take care of the finances myself and have them focus on getting through school with good grades and no more stress than what school brings on its own.
That doesn't mean they don't learn additional life lessons. They both live in off-campus apartments instead of dorms. They need to have room mates to make it affordable, so they learn to live and compromise with others. They learn how to cook and clean, and take care of themselves. And they have to live within a budget. Those are life skills college wouldn't typically provide, but that I think are as essential to success as the education they receive.

One thing is for sure, its not stable employment. You might be at a point where you are making a comfortable living one day, and wake up to find your job is now in India the next. It isn't because you're unskilled, its because you cost more than a programmer in India and the University of New Dheli graduates a million comp-sci majors every year.

If you want stability, if you want to earn what you feel you are truly worth, then consider Kier's lesson. From this point on, he doesn't earn a programmer's salary because of technical skill. Instead, he used his skill to develop a product that people want. As long as you work for someone else, you'll always be paid what they think you are worth. You're only as valuable as you are unique and productive.

Never forget, to the CFO, you are an expense, not an asset.
When my own daughter began college two years ago, she wanted to be an engineer, like deal old dad. I had a long, heart to heart conversation with her, giving her the benefit of my years of experience. First is do what you love. For her, its music. Second, put yourself in the best position to be the boss someday, and sooner rather than later.
Her major is business, specializing in digitial media, and minoring in music. She managed to find a way to combine all three. I will continue to pay until she earns her MBA. Then she'll be able to do anything she wants. Thats also why, although it is a sacrifice for me and her mother as we both work two jobs, we are putting both kids though college without any student loans. When they complete, they will be completely debt free in a time where there is too much debt in the world.

This is why I continue to work for slightly less than market value. I am a developer for one of the large Japanese automakers and though I might make 5% less than market value, the Japanese philosophy that their employees are their biggest asset is a wonderful thing for programmers.

Well, since my job is part time (although, it is salaried), I make roughly $400/month. I lucked out with that as I got one of the few student programming jobs in a college campus inside of the school newspaper that is completely run and funded by students. I'm happy with the job and income for what I use if for. Although, when I head out into the real programming jobs that I hope to gain someday, it'll be a lot more (hopefully)...

It really depends on where in the US or Canada you are. From the responses in this thread so far, you can see it's a wide range. Where I live, programmers, based on their experience, can earn anything from $60,000 - 120,000. That doesn't necessarily mean we are banking a lot of dough, though. It costs a lot to live here. For example, the rent for a two bedroom apartment is anywhere from $1,500-1,800 / month...and the closer to the city you live, the more expensive it gets.

Depends on experience, type (freelance / full-time), technology, skills and attitude!

Someone who is decently experienced (say more than a couple of years) and skilled in web technologies (like php, mysql, web development) can earn as much as he is willing to work... that is where the attitude matters.

Top Bottom