Programatically Adding Forums

GoHerdIBG

I need to add the same 8 forums to many categories. Is there an easy way to do this using the application or would I need to connect to the database and do it programmatically (and is that even really possible to get everything right)?

Thanks for any insight.

By the time you write the code to add them programmatically, you could have added them via the UI.

In the end I will end up with 750 categories and 8 forums per category....but no big deal. Do you know if 2 users can be logged in as admin at the same time creating forums at the same time?

You won't do yourself a favor by adding 6.000 forum nodes, no matter what method you use, just to have it said. But yes, multiple admins can be logged in simultaneously and perform actions in the ACP.

Have you considered an alternate approach, such as prefixes to group some of your nodes together? Don't know your plans but usually when folks want that many nodes, prefixes can help reduce the number a ton.

Have you considered an alternate approach, such as prefixes to group some of your nodes together? Don't know your plans but usually when folks want that many nodes, prefixes can help reduce the number a ton.

Not sure the prefix route would work in my case. I am still building out the website and nodes so I will not go into detail but I am building a discussion forum separated by states and 15 "things" within each state. As an example, each state (all 50 of them) have 15 categories each (just as an example A, B, C, etc.) but each is unique to the state. Each of those categories then have 8 discussion forums for each of the those categories.

Not 100% sure what the prefix solution could do for me but willing to entertain if you could explain a little more.

Thanks again

You could have all discussions for a particular category in a single forum and use the prefix to let the thread creator indicate which state.

You could have all discussions related to a particular state in a single forum and use the prefix to let the thread creator indicate which category.

I see state, category, and discussion forum - nice to get at least one of those handled with a prefix rather than another level in your node tree.

This is what I'd call a "data design" issue - you need to figure out a way to organize things that's maintainable. 6000 forum nodes doesn't sound maintainable, especially if when you decide to change something, you'd have to change it in a lot of "parallel" places. Your solution has to balance your need for granularity with real-world considerations of managing your forum.

Hope this is helpful.

-S-

Top Bottom