XF 1.1 problems with plain vanilla redirects after vb switch

snoopy5

Hallo

I already converted complicated vb to xf forums with merger of the forums, redirects etc. Works perfectly.

Now I tried my third XF licence. This time a boring import of one vb forum into one xf forum. Nothing special.

Import went fine. No problems. I also made a logfile at the end just in case. But also kept the IDs in the import, because it is only one vb forum, which shall be imported in this fresh xf installation.

But surprisingly this "easy" conversion gives me headaches with the redirects. I just do not get it to work properly.

The vb 3.8x installation is in

mydomainname1/forum/

The xf installation is on the same domainname in a subdirectory (not subdomain)

mydomainname1/xf/

Now I want to have all redirects in place so that all internal and external links (also Google links) redirect in the right posting.

Also the URL with

mydomainname1/forum/

and

mydomainname1/forum/index.php shall work and guide to the xf installation.

I copied the 301 files in the forum folder etc. But somehow I am too stupid to make it work.

Or shall I rather move the xf installation in the forum directory?

Anyhow. Can someone please post a link to a step by step guide? I saw the one with the individual log files, but this seems not to be enough. It seems that the htaccess files have to be different.

Thanks

Hallo

I already converted complicated vb to xf forums with merger of the forums, redirects etc. Works perfectly.

Now I tried my third XF licence. This time a boring import of one vb forum into one xf forum. Nothing special.

Import went fine. No problems. I also made a logfile at the end just in case. But also kept the IDs in the import, because it is only one vb forum, which shall be imported in this fresh xf installation.

But surprisingly this "easy" conversion gives me headaches with the redirects. I just do not get it to work properly.

The vb 3.8x installation is in

mydomainname1/forum/

The xf installation is on the same domainname in a subdirectory (not subdomain)

mydomainname1/xf/

Now I want to have all redirects in place so that all internal and external links (also Google links) redirect in the right posting.

Also the URL with

mydomainname1/forum/

and

mydomainname1/forum/index.php shall work and guide to the xf installation.

I copied the 301 files in the forum folder etc. But somehow I am too stupid to make it work.

Or shall I rather move the xf installation in the forum directory?

Anyhow. Can someone please post a link to a step by step guide? I saw the one with the individual log files, but this seems not to be enough. It seems that the htaccess files have to be different.

Thanks

So you've got the rediect scripts in the /forum/ folder as required.

Have you entered the full server path of the XenForo install in the 301config.php file and defined the import log table?

So you've got the rediect scripts in the /forum/ folder as required.

Have you entered the full server path of the XenForo install in the 301config.php file and defined the import log table?

yes. The same way I did it with my other conversions:

$fileDir = '/my absolute path/xf';

and obviously the individual log at the buttom.

I have to add that some redirects are working but some don`t...

For example:

mydomainname1/forum/

goes correctly to

mydomainname1/xf/ and the board is visible

BUT

mydomainname1/forum/index.php

goes to

/xfindex.php

And if I use a google link to the a posting of the old vb forum, it redirects me to

/xfshowthread.php?t=3636

So it seems, that alsways the slash is missing. If I add it manually, it still gives me an error.

Is it allowed to use the individual log file even if I have the original IDs during import kept? Maybe this is the reason?

/xfshowthread.php?t=3636

That smells like a RewriteRule in a .htaccess file that is missing a / in the target location.

If you are doing RewriteRules in your /forum directory then be sure to restrict them to only the URLs you want to redirect. The redirect scripts you uploaded do not require any rewrite rules for the change of directory.

Here are specific rewrites for the root URLs that you say you want to redirect:

Code:
RewriteRule ^$ /xf/ [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ /xf/ [R=301,L]

These would go into the .htaccess file in /forum

That smells like a RewriteRule in a .htaccess file that is missing a / in the target location.

If you are doing RewriteRules in your /forum directory then be sure to restrict them to only the URLs you want to redirect. The redirect scripts you uploaded do not require any rewrite rules for the change of directory.

Here are specific rewrites for the root URLs that you say you want to redirect:

Code:
RewriteRule ^$ /xf/ [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ /xf/ [R=301,L]

These would go into the .htaccess file in /forum

Hi

Thank you! that fixed it! Redirects are working now.

There is a small issue still with some (not all) images. It seems that the majority is visible. But there are some images which do not show up at all, basically as if they would never ben there, Just an empty posting. And some postings show the text i.e. "View attachment 4175" (although it should be visible immediately without clicking) and if I click on it, a new window opens with the message:

The requested attachment could not be found.

The urls in the browser looks like:

http://www.mydomainname1/xf/index.php?attachments/4175/

I do think that I messed somthing up somewehere with redirects at a place they maybe should not be. At least there was no error while importing, so the mistake must have been me...

any idea what this could be?

Those attach tags in vB are updated when you run the attachment module of the importer. Did you import attachments?

Hi

yes, as far as I remember. But I was tired at that night. But it is not with all images. There are images which show up. I would assume that if I forgot to make the attachement image import, no image would show up at all: Or am I mistaken?

Top Bottom