Problems connecting with Filezilla

Diana

I have to do an upgrade and install some apps and need an ftp client to do that. Filezilla has always worked for me in the past. Not anymore. Every time I try to connect it times out and then puts up a firewall that blocks access to my forum as well as to my host's support page. The firewall lifts within an hour or so. Everything the host has advised to correct the problem hasn't worked.

These last instructions they gave me don't even make sense to me. I can't find anything corresponding in Filezilla settings.

Per their instruction:

"You need to change the Encryption to "Only use plain FTP (insecure)" and Logon type to Normal
Enter host address, user name and password and click "Connect"
Open transfer settings tab
Change transfer mode from default to active
Proceed as per the messages, you may need to enter the passwords again , enter it."

I'm completely at a loss.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Been awhile, but IIRC it is something like, Site Manager > General > Encryption: Use plain FTP

Per their instruction:

"You need to change the Encryption to "Only use plain FTP (insecure)" and Logon type to Normal
Enter host address, user name and password and click "Connect"
Open transfer settings tab
Change transfer mode from default to active
Proceed as per the messages, you may need to enter the passwords again , enter it."

I'm completely at a loss.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is all assuming you have your site set up in the Site Manager, which you should. Open the Site Manager and you'll see the following:

plainftp.webp

That method is almost guaranteed to fix your problem.

Thank you. That seems to be it! The host told me about this today and I've just set this up. He also advised that I "Navigate to Transfer Settings tab and select Active instead of Default." I have not been able to find that option in the Transfer tab's pull down window and am waiting for him to answer my question.

The host said to "select Ask for action" in the Transfer tab. I did that but it timed out, as has repeatedly happened before, though this time it didn't block my site with a firewall.

Strange, I've used Filezilla many times before, for the same site, and never had this problem.

You're welcome! To find the Active they are talking about, click the Transfer Settings tab on the same screen I posted above. It'll be right up top. The choices are Default, Active, Passive.

Fixed AT LAST!

I don't know what the host did on his end to fix it. All he said was, "I have tweaked a few changes in FTP and firewall settings."

Man oh man, I'm so glad this was resolved. It was driving me bonkers.

Thank you for your help WSWD. You directed me to the right place.

Top Bottom