1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Problems after SQL User tables Uploaded

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Rum Runner Entertainment, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Rum Runner Entertainment

Rum Runner Entertainment Active Member

I've had an incident which got my all of my current users to have been deleted, and I got a recent SQL backup of the users from the SQL tables from my host, and for some reason, I log into the ACP, and I have complete control and I am indeed listed as a Super Administrator as expected, but I'm getting this screen on my main forums page for some reason:

Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 11.52.36 PM.png

Any help on what the problem may be? Is it something locally on the forums or something that is happening within maybe one of the PHP files.. or?? I really don't know.

Thanks!

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Find your user in the Admin CP:

Admin CP -> Users

Note the usergroups for that user.

Check the permissions for those groups:

Admin CP -> Users -> List User Groups

Admin CP -> Applications -> Display Node Tree -> Permissions

And finally, if all of that checks out, then try rebuilding the user cache (which will rebuild the permission combo id for all users):

Admin CP -> Tools -> Rebuild Caches -> Rebuild User Cache

maszd likes this.
  3. Rum Runner Entertainment

Okay, well the rebuilding of the user cache definitely helped, but now I'm getting errors of maybe "duplicated accounts" it seems?

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 1.36.23 AM.png

This as well when I try to create a specific user as an administrator:

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 1.38.43 AM.png

Thanks.

Attached Files:

4. Jake Bunce

Can you help me to understand exactly what happened with your database? I am happy to chase errors, but knowing what happened may help me to get straight to the problem.

5. Rum Runner Entertainment

Nothing happened to the database itself, there was just a user that had administrative privileges on the forums who deleted pretty much all he users except for mine because he did not have the ability. After that all happened, I found out and I went to godaddy getting a SQL user table backup and importing it, that's pretty much it. I doubt anything other than that happened on the site while I was not there.

6. Jake Bunce

Ok. Doing a manual restore of just xf_user is not sufficient.

Refer to this datawriter:

library/XenForo/DataWriter/User.php

The _getFields function defines the tables and fields for a user. Those tables are:

xf_user
    xf_user_authenticate
    xf_user_option
    xf_user_privacy
    xf_user_profile

For a manual restore you would need to restore all 5 of these tables.

Note that you may encounter a period of false associations. For example, if user_id 123 registered and posted some messages and then you restore the user tables back to user_id 120, then when a new user registers and reclaims user_id 123 they will inherit the posts of that old user that was lost. To avoid this problem you can manually set the autoincrement value on the xf_user table after restoring that table.

7. Rum Runner Entertainment

Hmm, is there a way to completely avoid this? Can I just upload a full database backup? But I'm not sure if I have one and if I do, how recent it is. Is it possible that my host would have a pretty recent backup?

8. Divvens

Divvens Well-Known Member

You would have to ask them, usually they could have a 1 week backup. Reputed providers do take nightly backups. But that is a question only they will be able to answer, restoring after you get a full backup would be very easy.

Make sure to ask them of a backup of a date before the deleting happened, as they wouldn't know you need a backup with that data (if you ask just for a backup, they may give you a latest one which misses the data you require).

9. Rum Runner Entertainment

Right. Yea this happened yesterday I believe.