XF 1.3 Problem working with addons

Neil E.

I got interrupted and made a mistake when I got back to the computer. I intended to uninstall an addon and then delete the folder from the server. The mistake was that I forgot I hadn't done the uninstall but still removed the folder. The addon is TMS 1.3.0 by Guiltar. The TMS folder was located in myforum/library.

Trying to uninstall results in an error (files necessary for uninstallation could not be found, please replace them). I took the original folder from the unzippped 1.3.0 addon and put it on the server. Same error occurs on uninstall.

When I try to disable the addon, I get "callback TMS_Install::build is invalid" and "callback TMS_Install::destroy is invalid".

Next I tried to do an upgrade. I put the TMS 1.3.1 folder into myforum/library and it overwrote the TMS 1.3.0 files as expected. When I ran the xml file, I got the error that "files associated with this upgrade could not be found".

Is there a way to remove the TMS addon so it no longer exists on the XF installation?

You are probably correct. I can't figure out the TMS file locations.

I was hoping there might be a way to purge all traces of the TMS addon. I liked how the addon worked, but it just doesn't have the same functionality that it once did. Guiltar seems to have vanished as well.

A file health check seems to indicate the XF installation is OK. I wonder if the file health check looks at the content of the files or just if they exist.

What functionality?

Anyway, if you look in the TMS package, there is a library folder. Look at your XenForo files. You also have a library folder.

So all you need to do is upload the contents of the TMS library directory to the XenForo library directory.

I thought the TMS addon was brilliant for organizing edits. Very handy for inexperienced users to keep track of modifcations. Handy to turn changes on and off and see the results. With the shift to direct editing, I found it very difficult to properly comment changes and keep track of what was modified. And yes the TM core is good, but it is aimed at developers.

The TMS addon was best at template edits on a specific style. This doesn't exist with XF now since TM core modifies the master templates. We are thus required to use direct editing to make changes within a specific style. I'm not confident that Guiltar will support the TMS addon well enough going forward, and I don't like that debug must be enabled in order to work with the addon.

I suspect I'll wind up using TM core for template edits (my forum will only have a single style). I'm not skilled enough to get really comfortable with direct edits. So the functionality I really liked was the fact that the original template was not changed and I could always review it (and the TMS changes) easily. This is probably not a big deal for skilled users, but it sure was great for me.

So if upload TMS library to XF library, the Diff file would be overwritten? Picture of current structure, red somewhat shows possible change where contents will now be moved into XF library.

structure new.webp

Delete the directory named TMS that you have marked red:

upload_2014-7-23_0-9-16.webp

Now upload the contents of the library folder in the TMS download to the library folder in your .xenforotest folder.

Thanks Chris, that got me sorted out and the uninstall went fine. So what happens to the contents of the Diff file that were overwritten in the process? Does this have any effect on other parts of the software? If the TMS was to be truly gone wouldn't the TMS folder in Diff have to be removed and then the original Diff folder restored? It seems like the server would eventually contain of lots of junk after experimentation with various addons.

Top Bottom