Fixed Problem with webm files

I don't know if this is a bug or something I'm not doing right. When I attach webm files, the videos won't play. The URL of the attached file has the extension mp4 instead of the extension webm and gives a format error.

From the admin panel the videos work correctly. The urls look different, in the admin panel the link points to the id of the attached file and in the forum the link points directly to the file with mp4 extension.

Is that supposed to be a working or non working video?

This site is running 2.2 and it plays fine.

I use windows 10 and firefox 80.0.1

Version 2.1.10 works fine.

Version 2.2 is the one that doesn't work. Videos in webm format won't play in my browser. However, if it works if I open it from the admin panel.

The link in 2.2 is correct. Direct video access is important for some browsers (most notably Safari/iOS) so we serve videos directly. This is part of a change/improvement in 2.2.

However, it looks like Firefox is more particular when it comes to the MIME type of these files. Moving to bugs.

Worth mentioning that WebM isn't entirely safe for web videos because Safari/iOS doesn't support them.

I think the problem is simply that xenforo puts the mp4 extension to all video formats. This also happens in version 2.1.10 but is corrected when viewing.

About the use of direct links in 2.2. Doesn't that compromise the privacy of the forum? Anyone can access the content without being registered and also the views are not counted.

Yes the problem is that the file extension is being changed to .mp4. I also can't play the above attachment on Firefox "No video with supported format and MIME type found." error. If I download the video and change the extension to .webm it plays fine on Firefox.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.2.0 RC1).

Change log:
Maintain the original video/audio extension when serving these file types as directly accessible attachments as not all browsers allow sniffing between their multiple supported video (or audio) types
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Top Bottom