• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Problem with non-Latin charachter

puppi

New member
#1
Hello,
I have used vB4 Importer 3.6b2 to import users from a Persian VB4.2 forum. All seems to be fine expect that all non-Latin characters are turned into ???? symbols.

Also, another language specific problem that might be relevant:
I imported this Persian Language pack to the freshly installed XF 1.1.5 but none of the Persian string show up when I set default language to Persian.

I really appreciate your hints to solve these.
 

puppi

New member
#3
Here are the result from the myxfdb:

mysql> show variables like "character_set_database";
+------------------------+--------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+------------------------+--------+
| character_set_database | latin1 |
+------------------------+--------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> show variables like "collation_database";
+--------------------+-------------------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+--------------------+-------------------+
| collation_database | latin1_swedish_ci |
+--------------------+-------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> SELECT charset FROM language;
ERROR 1146 (42S02): Table 'myxfdb.language' doesn't exist
mysql> show variables like "character_set_database";
+------------------------+--------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+------------------------+--------+
| character_set_database | latin1 |
+------------------------+--------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> show variables like "collation_database";
+--------------------+-------------------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+--------------------+-------------------+
| collation_database | latin1_swedish_ci |
+--------------------+-------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)
I went through the topic that you linked but could not figure out how they solved the problem. Greatly appreciate if you could elaborate on this.
Also, I'm wondering why the language table has not been created?
Cheers
 

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
#4
The collation is latin1_swedish_ci instead of utf8, so you could try that.

The language table is created on initial XenForo install so that would indicate a problem with original XF build.
 

puppi

New member
#5
Well looked inside the myxfdb and I see that xn_language actually exists. Here is the description:

mysql> SELECT charset FROM xf_language;
ERROR 1054 (42S22): Unknown column 'charset' in 'field list'
mysql> describe xf_language \G;
*************************** 1. row ***************************
Field: language_id
Type: int(10) unsigned
Null: NO
Key: PRI
Default: NULL
Extra: auto_increment
*************************** 2. row ***************************
Field: parent_id
Type: int(10) unsigned
Null: NO
Key:
Default: NULL
Extra:
*************************** 3. row ***************************
Field: parent_list
Type: varbinary(100)
Null: NO
Key:
Default: NULL
Extra:
*************************** 4. row ***************************
Field: title
Type: varchar(50)
Null: NO
Key:
Default: NULL
Extra:
*************************** 5. row ***************************
Field: date_format
Type: varchar(30)
Null: NO
Key:
Default: NULL
Extra:
*************************** 6. row ***************************
Field: time_format
Type: varchar(15)
Null: NO
Key:
Default: NULL
Extra:
*************************** 7. row ***************************
Field: decimal_point
Type: varchar(1)
Null: NO
Key:
Default: NULL
Extra:
*************************** 8. row ***************************
Field: thousands_separator
Type: varchar(1)
Null: NO
Key:
Default: NULL
Extra:
*************************** 9. row ***************************
Field: phrase_cache
Type: mediumblob
Null: NO
Key:
Default: NULL
Extra:
*************************** 10. row ***************************
Field: language_code
Type: varchar(25)
Null: NO
Key:
Default:
Extra:
*************************** 11. row ***************************
Field: text_direction
Type: enum('LTR','RTL')
Null: NO
Key:
Default: LTR
Extra:
11 rows in set (0.00 sec)

ERROR:
No query specified
 

Jake Bunce

XenForo moderator
Staff member
#6
There is confusion here between vB's language table and XF's language table. Run this query on your vB database:

Code:
SELECT charset FROM language;