XF 2.2 Problem between email notification and messages in the forum

Silmarillion

Hi there,

we have the problem that new users often complain that they receive new notifications via email for every topic in which they have written something and that they perceive this as spam. If you switch this off, however, you will no longer receive any more information about the bell in the forum itself if you were mentioned or there was a reaction to one of your posts.

What are the recommended settings to solve this problem?

We are currently using the standard settings.

Best regards

First of all, thanks for the quick response. But I'm confused right now. For me the settings look like this ...

inhalte.png
And I still get hints in the forum about the bell.

I ticked all the boxes under Receive a notification when someone ...

Could that be a manual ticking of the watch forum or watch thread button. That also gives you a choice of email or just alerts.

I would rule that out.

watched.webp

New users are simply annoyed by the current setting. Therefore I would like to know what kind of setting I can pass on to the members so that they a) no longer receive e-mail notifications, but b) still receive hints in the forum.
@Brogan should be able to help me there? ;)

Renewing the license has no effect on community based forum support.

XF allows for email, alerts, and push notifications separately - I have it set up like that here.

The members will need to enable push notifications if they want to receive those.

1641145122517.png

Renewing the license has no effect on community based forum support.
Nice to read, Brogan. I was still very happy to do it, as I've become a big fan of Xenforo and I am happy to support this software and their developers.
XF allows for email, alerts, and push notifications separately - I have it set up like that here.

The members will need to enable push notifications if they want to receive those.

View attachment 262811

I don't have the push notifications option at all. Have they only been there since the last versions?

push.webp

And why do I get "Push Notifcations" even though I haven't checked "Content Options"?

Or are the ticks under "receive a notification when someone ..." sufficient?

Best regards,
Chris

You need to enable push notifications in the options: admin.php?options/groups/alerts/#enablePush

The alerts are what you see under the bell icon in the nav - they are unrelated to push notifications.

You will need to watch content in order to receive alerts for it.

Ok, I didn't even know that. But the push notifications have nothing to do with the bell symbol.
And we are only concerned with the following two points:

1. The users do not want to receive email notifications about notifications all the time.

2. But they want this information to be displayed in the forum under the bell symbol.

If I take over the settings from you, Brogan, will that be guaranteed?

1. The users do not want to receive email notifications about notifications all the time.

2. But they want this information to be displayed in the forum under the bell symbol.

inhalte2.png

And you can set this up as a registrarion default for all users as they register in ACP > Setup > Options >User Registration

Alerts but no email:
Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 18.27.47.png

Or alerts ALONG WITH email:

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 17.06.52.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom