Prefix Essentials featuring auto expiring prefixes and prefix filtering

Prefix Essentials featuring auto expiring prefixes and prefix filtering [Paid] 2.5.4

No permission to buy (£25.00)
When @Xon is back, I'll chat to him about it.
I usually check better before I buy, but I really thought this was already possible.

I would be very happy if it could be done. I generally think it is better to be able to filter by more than one prefix at the time, than have to ignore the ones you do not want in the backend. And risking forgetting that you ignored them and never see those threads again.

I do not know if this is related but i have some prefixes that are not assigned to any forums that show up in the ignored list. I only want used prefixes shown there. @Stuart Wright @Xon

I also think it would be att good idea to have some sort of way to see on the front end that you have prefixes ignored and/or could ignore/unignore them on the front end.
I tried to set the unused prefix to administrator only permission and they still show up in the ignore list in profile settings.

I tried to set the unused prefix to administrator only permission and they still show up in the ignore list in profile settings.
Just to satisfy my curiosity: what do you use the prefixes for, if they aren't assigned to any forums...?

Just to satisfy my curiosity: what do you use the prefixes for, if they aren't assigned to any forums...?
They are between forums :) They are going to be used on another forum later.

The real problem are prefixes from a hidden moderator-forum also would be seen as there isn't any way to hide any prefix as I see it.

But what I really would want is to be able to filter by more than one prefix in the forum at the same time.

They are between forums :) They are going to be used on another forum later.

The real problem are prefixes from a hidden moderator-forum also would be seen as there isn't any way to hide any prefix as I see it.

But what I really would want is to be able to filter by more than one prefix in the forum at the same time.
Aah, okay. I was wondering why you wouldn't just delete those prefixes if you weren't using them. Seems like it would have been the easiest solution to that particular problem. And probably explains why it hasn't been an issue for anyone before (at least that I know of), because most people wouldn't create prefixes they weren't going to actually use.

The second issue, yeah, I tested that, and can confirm those prefixes still show, irregardless of permissions.

The third thing... Eh, maybe Xon will implement it. Since this can already be done with his Multi-prefix addon on thread view, he might not wish to duplicate the feature there. However, for those of us who like to use the Essentials filters above the node list, it would be a cool option.

The administrator only configuration on a prefix blocks usage, not viewing it.

If that prefix is visible in a forum, the add-on allows you to ignore it. Can you check that the prefix isn't in use in a public forum?

The administrator only configuration on a prefix blocks usage, not viewing it.

If that prefix is visible in a forum, the add-on allows you to ignore it. Can you check that the prefix isn't in use in a public forum?
The prefixes are set to none both for Applicable forums and for Prefix group.

I have tried to move them to an unused Prefix group were "Display prefix group above the node list for filtering." were unchecked but it didn't help.

I can confirm this, @Xon. I created a brand new prefix, no user groups selected and applicable forums set to none, and it still appears beneath the Ignored Prefixes list under Preferences.

Please make it possible to choose more than one prefix at a time.

One way to make it obvious would be by having a checkbox next to every prefix and a form button for filter.

I was thinking about how to show the users if they were ignoring any prefixes.

I am no developer so this could probably be done much better and I still think it would be better to be able to choose more than one prefix in the forum or if that is hard, ignore prefixes in the forum and not in the preferences.

In the template "prefixess_thread_list_prefix_list" just before the last </xf:if> paste the following:

Code:
    <xf:set var="$allPrefixHTML" value="" />
    <xf:foreach loop="$forum.prefixes" value="$prefix">
        <xf:if is="$xf.visitor.canIgnorePrefix($prefix.prefix_id)">
            <xf:set var="$prefixUsageCount" value="{$prefixCounts.{$prefix.prefix_id}.total_count}" />
            <xf:set var="$prefixHTML"><li>{{ prefix('thread', $prefix.prefix_id, 'html') }}</li></xf:set>
            <xf:set var="$allPrefixHTML" value="{$allPrefixHTML}{$prefixHTML}" />
        </xf:if>
    </xf:foreach>

<xf:if is="{$allPrefixHTML}">
        <xf:css src="prefixess_thread_list_prefix_list.less" />

<h3 class="block-formSectionHeader prefixFilterContainer">
            <span class="is-active">{{ phrase('prefixes_ignored_prefixes:') }}</span>
            <span class="block-desc prefixList">
                <ul class="filterBar-byPrefix">
                    {$allPrefixHTML|preEscaped} <a href="/account/preferences#ignore_prefixes">{{ phrase('change') }} {{ phrase('prefixes_ignored_prefixes') }}</a>
                </ul>
            </span>
        </h3>

And in template "prefixess_ignored_prefixes_preference" insert:
Code:
id="ignore_prefixes"
after the first <h2

Last edited:
I was thinking about how to show the users if they were ignoring any prefixes.

I am no developer so this could probably be done much better and I still think it would be better to be able to choose more than one prefix in the forum or if that is hard, ignore prefixes in the forum and not in the preferences.

In the template "prefixess_thread_list_prefix_list" just before the last </xf:if> paste the following:

Code:
    <xf:set var="$allPrefixHTML" value="" />
    <xf:foreach loop="$forum.prefixes" value="$prefix">
        <xf:if is="$xf.visitor.canIgnorePrefix($prefix.prefix_id)">
            <xf:set var="$prefixUsageCount" value="{$prefixCounts.{$prefix.prefix_id}.total_count}" />
            <xf:set var="$prefixHTML"><li>{{ prefix('thread', $prefix.prefix_id, 'html') }}</li></xf:set>
            <xf:set var="$allPrefixHTML" value="{$allPrefixHTML}{$prefixHTML}" />
    </xf:foreach>

<xf:if is="{$allPrefixHTML}">
        <xf:css src="prefixess_thread_list_prefix_list.less" />

<h3 class="block-formSectionHeader prefixFilterContainer">
            <span class="is-active">{{ phrase('prefixes_ignored_prefixes:') }}</span>
            <span class="block-desc prefixList">
                <ul class="filterBar-byPrefix">
                    {$allPrefixHTML|preEscaped} <a href="/account/preferences#ignore_prefixes">{{ phrase('change') }} {{ phrase('prefixes_ignored_prefixes') }}</a>
                </ul>
            </span>
        </h3>

And in template "prefixess_ignored_prefixes_preference" insert:
Code:
id="ignore_prefixes"
after the first <h2
The change to template "prefixess_ignored_prefixes_preference" should instead be insert:
Code:
<span class="u-anchorTarget" id="ignore_prefixes"></span>
before the "<h2" row.

Sorry, I have another small suggestion. Maybe the ignored prefixes should have its own tab under /account/ignored instead, where the ignored users are, and I also have Ignored threads?

Thanks for the suggestions. In these austere times, only essential changes (or those being funded by other people) are being considered.

Reactions: Xon
In a new Suggestion Forum, I don't see prefixes at the top of the forum-list to click on or sort with.

I'm thinking since this layout uses a different template, that this feature hasn't been added in XF2.2 yet.

Just checking to see if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is not yet implemented, or if it's a bug.

@Stuart Wright @Xon

I use "new posts" as default page and I would like to filter prefixes on that page?
Themehouse's plugin doesn't offer that option so can you please tell me if it works on that specific page?

The goal is having a kind of bar above the content and potentially a widget on the sidebar.

Thanks for this clarification before purchase.

@Stuart Wright @Xon

I use "new posts" as default page and I would like to filter prefixes on that page?
Themehouse's plugin doesn't offer that option so can you please tell me if it works on that specific page?

The goal is having a kind of bar above the content and potentially a widget on the sidebar.

Thanks for this clarification before purchase.
You can still click on any prefix (on thread titles) to get all results with that prefix, but the prefix groups for filtering aren't available when using new posts as the forum page.

Last edited:
Top Bottom