Pre-Purchase Questions

m3commish

Hey there,

I'm strongly considering purchasing this Xenforo forum software. I Do have a couple of questions, however.

1. It says: Includes 12 months of ticket support and upgrades. Support and upgrade access can currently be extended for $40 for an additional 12 months.

Question: So, It's 140 ... but after a year, do I still get to keep the forum software? Just without the ticket support and upgrades, correct?

2. Do I need to have a server for Xenforo to go on ... or does Xenforo have their own servers?

Edit: Actually, I think I just saw on these forums that you do ... but, would still be helpful to get a response for some information. Headed to work .. will check when I get home. :)

Thanks!

1: You get access to the latest update before your license expired. So if 1.4.9 is released on August 15th, but your license expired on August 14th, you can download up to 1.4.8.
2: Yes, you need to purchase hosting or your own server.

So yeah .. Weebly, is unable to accommodate this, unfortunately. Further, one states above that I would need my own domain ... and host. Just not sure I want to uproot my current domain to another host ... just for the sake of a forum. I just need to figure out which direction I want to take with all this .. was hoping that Xenforo had their own servers making the process much easier and seamless. That being said, I don't know enough about it .. and may be a bit ignorant with what sort of options I may or may not have at this point. My current forum is through Proboards .. and site through Weebly. Both, quite simple.

Any suggestions? Thanks for taking the time.

So yeah .. Weebly, is unable to accommodate this, unfortunately. Further, one states above that I would need my own domain ... and host. Just not sure I want to uproot my current domain to another host ... just for the sake of a forum. I just need to figure out which direction I want to take with all this .. was hoping that Xenforo had their own servers making the process much easier and seamless. That being said, I don't know enough about it .. and may be a bit ignorant with what sort of options I may or may not have at this point. My current forum is through Proboards .. and site through Weebly. Both, quite simple.

Any suggestions? Thanks for taking the time.

I think someone converted proboards before, maybe they give the database upon request.
The process is easy and seamless already, if you buy shared hosting they will often do it for you.

If you can't get a copy of the database then you don't really have any options as far as the existing content is concerned.

Even if you could, you would still need a domain and host and some way of converting from Proboards, as there isn't an importer for that.

I would need my own domain ... and host. Just not sure I want to uproot my current domain to another host

I currently use godaddy for my domain

It sounds like you have a domain already with godaddy, so you wouldn't need to buy another one (unless you intend on using a separate domain for your forum). As for hosting, you could simply upgrade your package at godaddy to a hosting one, though many of us here would probably recommend that you look at a better web host.

What's got me somewhat nervous about putting this in motion ... is, I get the 140, I get the 50 for installation onto the server by someone here .. but the part where I'm nervous is .. I have zero experience with this part ( This does not include PHP or MySQL installation or configuration.) Is this something necessary? ... and is this something that the installer doesn't do? I feel like if it is something necessary .. I'm going to have spent the money to get to a point that I'm lost .. and even with help .. I might be lost even so. :/ I really want to use XF .. I'm just a bit unsure because of the aforementioned.

Most servers come pre-installed and configured, unless it's bare bones and completely unmanaged.

If it's GoDaddy, it will be ready to have XF installed on it.

Niiiiice, Brogan. OK ... so, that makes me feel better. So it truly then comes down to just purchasing the license here ... throw in the 50 for someone to install it and I should be good to go after that .. with beginning to work on customizing my forum? :)

Top Bottom