Practical way to read and reply?

Andrew B.

This came up before, but because I don't see any more talk about it I assume people are seeing something I'm not.

When I reply to a message it takes me far away from the message I just replied to. As a result, I have to memorize the message number I'm replying to so I can find it again and continue reading the rest of the thread. And then if I reply to another message, I'm in the same situation again.

Is there some workaround for this? Or maybe the solution is being worked on but not added yet?

Can you explain what you mean by "When I reply to a message it takes me far away from the message I just replied to"?

I just replied to your message and it was immediately above the text editor :confused:

I think I see what Andrew means, correct me if I'm wrong, but using the "reply" to quote a message when it is first or second message on the page (when there is a large number of posts on one page) scrolls you all the way down to the bottom of the page you lose site of the original message?

I think I see what Andrew means, correct me if I'm wrong, but using the "reply" to quote a message when it is first or second message on the page (when there is a large number of posts on one page) scrolls you all the way down to the bottom of the page you lose site of the original message?
Yeah I believe that's what he means.

With XenForo, when you click "Reply" the post is automatically put into quote tags and placed in the quick reply box. This way you know exactly what post you are replying to and so does everyone else.

That's what I mean. Let's say there is a thread that's pretty long. I start reading at the top and I click on the reply link to the second message. I'm taken down the the Quick Reply box. When I post the message, I don't jump back to where I was before. So I have to scroll back up looking for the message so I can read the next message. Then I reply to another one. Down to the bottom I go, and then I have to scroll up again so I can read the next message.

I guess this doesn't matter much if the message replied to is near the end of the thread. But it's annoying to have to keep scrolling back up on long threads. Something that no other software forces me to do.

I read earlier that that a plus sign would be added to the interface to allow multi-quoting. This would partially rectify the problem.

That's what I mean. Let's say there is a thread that's pretty long. I start reading at the top and I click on the reply link to the second message. I'm taken down the the Quick Reply box. When I post the message, I don't jump back to where I was before. So I have to scroll back up looking for the message so I can read the next message. Then I reply to another one. Down to the bottom I go, and then I have to scroll up again so I can read the next message.

I guess this doesn't matter much if the message replied to is near the end of the thread. But it's annoying to have to keep scrolling back up on long threads. Something that no other software forces me to do.

I read earlier that that a plus sign would be added to the interface to allow multi-quoting. This would partially rectify the problem.
Ah, yes I see you're point. A more efficient multi-quote button would definitely solve that problem.

It could be handled another way. When "Reply" is clicked, an editor window could launch right there in a separate window, and then the message posts the user could end up right where he was before. And in addition to that there could be quick reply.

xf posting a reply.webp

I just replied to the 2nd message of this discussion and it went like this:

- I go to the second post and press 'Reply,
- I am transported to the Quick Reply box, all the way down at the end of the first page of the postings,
- The 2nd message is quoted inside the Quick Reply box and I write my reply,
- I click [Post Reply] ...
- .... and then my message is added to the end of the first page of the postings and I am presented with 2 messages that there are more messages to be displayed.

This last step was always a bit confusing for me in XenForo and I still need to get used to it.

Grover, thanks for posting that clear explanation.

Anyway, the workaround I came up with is to right click on the Reply button and launch a new browser window. After the reply is posted, close the new window.

Grover, thanks for posting that clear explanation.

Anyway, the workaround I came up with is to right click on the Reply button and launch a new browser window. After the reply is posted, close the new window.
Thats not much of a work around, but its what i do too.
For XenForo to continue its innovative way of doing things they should use their overlay system for replies.
Click on reply and an overlay with the quick editor pops up.
If you want more options you can always click to be taken to the full page, but for most replies the quick editor overlay should be enough.
Once you finish your reply the overlay box disappears and its like nothing has changed since the page never actually moved.
You are still reading the post you were reading before you replied.

Top Bottom