Potentially switching hosts

TDUBS

Hello,

I am potentially planning on switching VPS providers as I cannot expand my hard drive space with OVH unless I purchase an additional disk. I am on their highest VPS SSD plan and only paying $13.49 a month. I can definitely say I've never ever experienced any issues with them for the amount of time I've been hosting with them. My forum is based around the virtual online gaming community therefore I get DDoS attempts here and there and OVH always seems to vacuum out the bad traffic and have my website back up in under 30 seconds from when it "goes down."

However, I'm at the point of slowly running out of disk space especially when my backup script accidentally backs up my database and forum to the server locally. I cannot have this keep happening but I am leery about switching for the simple fact that I've spent a lot of time configuring my server and whatnot to work seamlessly with Centmin Mod. So essentially, if I do switch - I will need to find someone who can migrate my stuff to the new one so I don't have to start from scratch again.

Nonetheless, I need personal opinions here. I don't want anyone suggesting shared hosting as there's a lot of server-sided work I do for my server. I have been looking at VPSDime which are ran by the owners of Backupsy. Yes, I am somewhat on a budget so that's why I'm trying to find a comparable package which is similar to the one I have with OVH. Recommendations in comparison to OVH would be great as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well you know my thoughts on this https://community.centminmod.com/posts/35874/ :D

Just don't get stuck in the thought that it is all or nothing for migrations. There's no reason you need to jump in the deep end with a live migration and web host switch. If unsure, just get the new vps/web host for 1 month or if hourly billing, for a few hours. Test migrate your forums keeping live existing forum server online and privately test the new vps/web host until you're happy and comfortable with a live migration :)

Key is practice :)

Well you know my thoughts on this https://community.centminmod.com/posts/35874/ :D

Just don't get stuck in the thought that it is all or nothing for migrations. There's no reason you need to jump in the deep end with a live migration and web host switch. If unsure, just get the new vps/web host for 1 month or if hourly billing, for a few hours. Test migrate your forums keeping live existing forum server online and privately test the new vps/web host until you're happy and comfortable with a live migration :)

Key is practice :)

Thanks for the advise as always! :)

Is it just the backup that is being the primary issue where disk space is concerned? Or is your forum community also consuming quite a bit of storage and growing (via attachments, avatars etc)?

If it is just the backups, you could look into an alternative storage location for them. It generally isn't recommend to store backups on the same (or even the same DC) server because, well, if your server goes down for whatever reason, so does your backup making it useless (and taking space that you could use within your forum).

Primarily when my stuff would backup locally. However, I can't have it be that tight of space on my server in case it's needed for other things as well.

I did end up going with SSD Nodes and they're great. :)

Top Bottom