• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Potential "big board" move from vB

Hi there, I own a large forum site (the largest in our industry at least). We have a 21gb database with 1.2 million threads and 15 million posts. We're pushing around 11 million page views monthly and operate off separate web and db vms.

We are currently running a largely stock vBulletin 4.x with Sphinx search and relatively few plugins and products. I have a few questions and concerns prior to purchasing about the viability of switching our site over.

Are there server intensive features that are recommended to be disabled for large boards?

• Import of a large board - I see there are multiple options including third party paid offerings and ssh import instead of the browser. How long can I reasonably expect an import to take?
  • Paid memberships: We use a paid subscription model with access to premium content and for sale forums. Currently we use authorize.net and paypal, I see native paypal support within the control panel for user upgrades, is there an authorize.net option?

Jeremy

The default importer is only available via the web interface.

Recurring paid memberships will not transfer. As for Authorize.net, you'll need an add-on to accomplish that.

kontrabass

Hi there, I own a large forum site (the largest in our industry at least). We have a 21gb database with 1.2 million threads and 15 million posts. We're pushing around 11 million page views monthly and operate off separate web and db vms.

We are currently running a largely stock vBulletin 4.x with Sphinx search and relatively few plugins and products. I have a few questions and concerns prior to purchasing about the viability of switching our site over.

Are there server intensive features that are recommended to be disabled for large boards?

• Import of a large board - I see there are multiple options including third party paid offerings and ssh import instead of the browser. How long can I reasonably expect an import to take?
  • Paid memberships: We use a paid subscription model with access to premium content and for sale forums. Currently we use authorize.net and paypal, I see native paypal support within the control panel for user upgrades, is there an authorize.net option?
We had nearly identical stats when we made the switch. We used https://xenforo.com/community/resources/vbulletin-big-board-importer-vbulletin-3-vbulletin-4.1981/

[bd] paygates has authorize.net functionality I believe.

Be sure and do several test imports before the real thing. That'll give you an exact idea of the time needed. It's been 2 years but I think it took maybe 2-3 hours for 15M posts with the above importer. It's a must. The default importer will leave you down for days, IIRC.

I haven't found any core xenforo features that needed to be disabled - in fact I think you'll find it less server intensive than VB.

Good luck! You won't regret the switch :)

rv65

Also, Xenforo has Sphinx search as well from Digitalpoint if you like that, though Elastic search is good as well.