1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As Designed Posting Long Links

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Jeremy, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

First off, amazing job on XenForo. If I was made of money I would think about switching, but unfortunately I am not, and I'm not asking those I "work" for to repurchase software. :( But, to the actual bug report...

When posting a long link, such as:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/693961/xf_pagination_scrolling.mov

It ends up having a space after 50 characters, but the link is still functioning.

2. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

In case someone doesn't see what he/she is talking about, look between the two L's in scrolling.mov. :)

3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

That's just word wrap (50 characters). If we did URL truncation, then that would workaround it.

4. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Mike, talking of this, if you look at my full profile, at the blue, profile information providing location, home page etc, you'll see that my link is cut off. What could be a remedy, apart from changing the link, to this?

5. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I get word wrap, but links are "singular" and may throw some people off.

6. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I think the system should change long links to the shortened form ie change all the letters after a certain amount to dot dot dot.

7. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

I prefer the vBulletin format where it truncates in the middle, so you can still see the end of the URL. :)

AlexandrosD likes this.
  8. Floris

Floris Guest

I am not fund of either methods though ..
    But I have seen a lot of broken links on XF here.

Hey, that's my video :p :D

9. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

It's kind of annoying in places where it doesn't create links (like profile status). so I can't copy paste the link without manually removing spaces. I see no way around this though.

10. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Maybe they could fix the link parser? :D